What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy idea! Move to Borneo!

Nepenthes are great. But growing them in enclosed spaces cramps their style and beauty. Nepenthes tend to look their best in large hanging baskets. or in large pots with a trellis or something to climb.

It's easier said than done, there would definitely be issues to work out. One challenge would be exporting my plants. But it would be great to move to Borneo or Sumatra, and live in a region where they can grow wild and unrestrained on a back porch.
I can see it now. Me living in a nice 1930's style bungalow, that I built with American dollars. I'd have a hammock that I relax in while I eat fruit. I'd live on the edge of the jungle, and I have local guides help lead me deep inside. Equipped with a frame pack, camera, magnifying glass, and a pith helmet for kicks, I scour the forest for undiscovered plant species.
It seems they are discovering one or two new nepenthes species a year. Just think, I could discover a new species. Formally describe it, collect seed (responsibly) and try my luck at tissue culture.

If I lived in Borneo, or Sumatra, one thing I would definitely want to have is a steerable hot air balloon. Instead of a basket, it is more like a ski ilft chair, with a bar that comes down, and their is a powerful fan at the back of the chair, that can be turned by a lever. Cool stuff :-O

Why export your plants? I say liquidate them, use the money to move, then buy direct from Borneo Exotics. I bet the turnaround would be way better than their international shipments. XD
~Joe

I would not want to live in either of these countries due to their draconian Islamic inspired social laws. I could probably behave myself on a vacation but long term I'm not interested in watching my every word and step. I can get away with much more here without nearly as steep of punishments if apprehended... and we'll just leave it at that! :D

Yes I am aware of public caning in countries like singapore
(if that's what you mean)

Caning is relatively tame compared to what they can do to you for other "offenses". Both Malaysia and Indonesia have very strict Islamic punishments in their legal system. I don't want to live anywhere that religion has a strong hand in government, the fundamentalist Christian politicians in the USA are bad enough to make themselves a nuisance but in Islamic countries I could probably be beheaded at least 3 times a day just following my normal routine and conversation flow! :lol:

But it would be great to move to Borneo or Sumatra, and live in a region where they can grow wild and unrestrained on a back porch.
You're apparently not the 1st to have this idea.

You could always try Hawaii...

I would not want to live in either of these countries due to their draconian Islamic inspired social laws. I could probably behave myself on a vacation but long term I'm not interested in watching my every word and step. I can get away with much more here without nearly as steep of punishments if apprehended... and we'll just leave it at that! :D

Draconian theory can be nerve racking lol

From past experience in Indonesia you can get a pretty good bowl of noodles for 6000 rupea, or .60$.

From what I gather Malaysia is nowhere near as bad as Indonesia in the draconianism.

but still, Swords, I get your point. If I were to ever live in Borneo I would probably choose to live closer to or among indigenous people to avoid the more modern and unrelenting laws and ways of life.

From past experience in Indonesia you can get a pretty good bowl of noodles for 6000 rupea, or .60$.
Yes, I can't get nearly as far in hawaii with my American dollars
$1 USD is worth 8719.26 Indonesian Rupee

From what I gather Malaysia is nowhere near as bad as Indonesia in the draconianism.
but still, Swords, I get your point. If I were to ever live in Borneo I would probably choose to live closer to or among indigenous people to avoid the more modern and unrelenting laws and ways of life.

Of course I'd live near the indigenous people, but not if they've haven't yet come in contact with the modern world. I don't want to spoil anyones way of life.

Caning is relatively tame compared to what they can do to you for other "offenses". Both Malaysia and Indonesia have very strict Islamic punishments in their legal system. I don't want to live anywhere that religion has a strong hand in government, the fundamentalist Christian politicians in the USA are bad enough to make themselves a nuisance but in Islamic countries I could probably be beheaded at least 3 times a day just following my normal routine and conversation flow! :lol:

:suspect:

Off the top of your head, can you name some "fundamentalist Christian politicians" in Federal or state governments that make themselves a nuisances?

The romantic side of moving to these places is great to think about - who wouldn't like climbing the highlands in the fog looking at all the plants and critters. But it's the day to day and political/religious situations that make it far less attractive to me. Eventually you're going to come down out of the jungle and find a place that may be unbearable for you. "A nice place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there" as they say. My metal mags UK writer/reviewer is originally from Malaysia - he definitely prefers London! LOL

:suspect:

Off the top of your head, can you name some "fundamentalist Christian politicians" in Federal or state governments that make themselves a nuisances?

Yes - next question. :-))

What about Sri Lanka? that seems to work well for BE :p

Divide and conquer (aka left/right paradigm) is still alive and well it seems.

Funny how the issues that the left and right agree on, screw us the most. The ones that don't are often trivial, yet get the most attention. Very disturbing to me.

Just my two cents.

Back