What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs of South africa & Last of the Head Hunters

I just placed an order for First Field Guide to Parasitic and Carnivorous Plants of Southern Africa by John, Dr Manning. The ad for it didn't describe the book at all. Any idea what the book covers?

I also ordered Last of the Head Hunters. A photographic and encyclopedic type book on Ifugo head hunter tribe of the Philippines published by Last Gasp Press (no pun intended).

Has anybody read these yet? I'm excited to read them.

I just found out tonight that my dad's father visited all kinds of oceanic tribal villages during WW2. My dad informed me of an enormous collection of hundreds of photos from the 40s which grandfather took of these tribes and some exotic flora (I'm hoping Nepenthes) while on these islands in the service. There is also a collection of tribal artifacts he traded for with the natives. unfortunately they are at his house in Arkansas and I do not know him at all.
sad.gif

I have never heard of the book on South African CP, but I surely would like to hear what you think of it when you read it!
I can't wait to see Robert Gibson's book on the subject (it is in the works and last I heard should be in print somewhere around 2005&#33
wink.gif

Tam it was just published this month (October 2003). I hope it's neat, it's very small, only 65 pages or something!
sad.gif

I don't think its an authoritarian taxonomic book, more of a general guide, covering both CPs and parasitic plants in S. Africa. I ordered a copy from NHBS in the UK last week and the estimated delivery time is 12+ weeks, so I guess I won't be getting this one in my Christmas Stocking
smile.gif

I also eagerly await Robert Gibson's book on the subject, it is much-needed and I hope it will clarify some of the complex SA sundew taxonomy.

Cheers

Vic

Vic,

I doubt that it will clarify many of the issues but Robert's extensive experience will surely give us something to ponder!

Back