What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I went to my grandma's (who also grows carnivorous plants) in North Carolina. We were planning on visiting CPs in the wild and visiting a few local nurseries. When we arrived at the North Carolina Beach State Park, we were highly disapointed. All of the S. flave were neatly pruned and there was trails around every plant. It looked like a large bog garden with a little bit of grass! The Venus Flytraps were scarce and there were evident signs of digging.
smile_h_32.gif
We were so dissatisfied that we drove all the way to supply, NC. We visited the Fly Trap Farm. On the way home we saw a small wooden sign stating "Green Swamp". As we walked through the entrance it started to rain, so our trip was brief. There was a large pond filled to the brim with some yellow flowering bladderwort. There was S.flava tall as my shoulders. I was in awe. The D. capillaris was so abundant that we stepped on many a plant just to step on the trail. Then I saw purple flowers. I was electrified! P. careulea was everywhere, side by side with towering S. rubra. As I unwillingly continued around the pond I was invaded by hundreds of D. intermedia. They were growing everywhere! In the water, on logs, on trees, and even on rocks. it was amazing!
There was even some D. brevifolia! As we were leaving the swamp, my grandma spotted some white flowers. I told her that they were just sundews, but she still wanted to have a look. When we got over there, I saw that they were NOT sundews, but hundreds of large, red, flowering Venus Flyraps. They were not small and green like the ones at NCBSP, but were robust! This was the highlight of my trip!
After the trip to green swamp, I visited a local nursery. It was JAM PACKED with sarrs. We spend $180 there and drove past Barry Rice's House. It was a blast!
And don't worry, I didn't take any souveniers except for pictures
smile.gif

I'm in NC right now. I was at Carolina Beach State park Friday. I was in the Green swamp Friday and today.
All the flavas are dormant right now. The flytraps aren't flowering right now and Barry Rice doesn't live in NC.
I know where Flytrap farms is but the rest of your story just doesn't add up.
Three years ago, the pond you were talking about was almost empty because of a drought. The ground where the water should have been, was carpeted with D.capilaris.

OMG! He doesn't live there? The owner at the sarr nursery pointed down the road! And I went a couple summers ago, not this year. Have fun in NC though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I went a couple summers ago, not this year. Have fun in NC though!
Why wait till now to tell us about it? You made it sound like you were just there for the holidays.
confused.gif

Just slipped my mind I guess, and I found my cp photos, a bit of a reminder! I'll get some pics up soon:)

Kirk, If you can wait for Hurricane Creek White, you can certainly wait for pics. LOL! SunPitcher, Ozzy makes a good point. I thought you were there now, not 2 years ago. Next time you go, fresh pics, please! It has been many years since I visited the Green Swamp. I know that you used to be able to see pitcher plants everywhere, as far as the eye could see, and now, they hardly hang on. So keep us posted, hook up with Ozzy if and when you can, and let the experience Oz has, be your guide. I am looking forward to it!!!!!

yeah youre right The hurricane creek is the best plant ever, I guess I can wait for pictures
smile_n_32.gif
, theres some good news, this summer, me and sunpitcher might go back up to NC And we could take some pictures thjeere

Let me know when you guys plan to go, and I'll see if we can get a few other members together.

I would like to caution you and everybody else about buying from flytrap farm. They wild collect almost all their plants.

I didn't purchase anything from them. Don't worry
smile_n_32.gif

hmm. well we'll let you know in when the date gets closer, anyway we'll have to stay away from flytrap farm, maybe if we met up with you ozzy you could show us the best places to look, and to buy cp's

You're at the best place to buy cp's. Petflytrap. Anything Phil don't sell you can always find a member that will trade it.
I will defiantly show you the best place to see vft's.

There's no need to be defiant when showing the VFTs, Ozzy.  It might scare someone.

That dang spellchecker.
mad.gif

Back