What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cps in terraniums

Hello everybody:
Unfortunately my planty died when it was accidentally watered with a fertilizer. Thanks everybody who tried to help me reviving my plant, but it was not possible. After recovering from my lost, im thinking to buy new cps for a terranium. This time im making sure nobody else waters the planties. So, I need ideas for the terranium. Like, what are the best cps for a terranium, which are the most suitable?. And if u know a web page that explains better about building a terranium with cps please let me know.
Thanks a lot...

Moved to Greenhouses, Terrariums at user request.

Barry's website at http://www.sarracenia.com/ gives some good advice for terrariums. Searching back through this forum you will also find a lot of good advice and ideas.
smile.gif
Hope this helps.
wink.gif

Bear in mind that if you want to put plants that need dormancy in the terrarium, it would be advisable to leave them potted so they are easy to take out and put back in. (Unless you live in a place that gets exactly the right winter for the plants you have in there)
And, of course, we all want to see pics when you have everything set up...
biggrin.gif

here is the hardy sundew caresheet in www.sarracenia.com:
(just in case you can't find it)
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> http://www.pitcherplant.com/care_sheets/dros_hardy_care.html
Drosera capillaris,D. filiformis,D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia-Hardy Sundews. Sundews are delicate carnivorous plants and must be handled gently. Often, they are short lived but self-sow copiously and form colonies.Mulches inhibit seedlings and are not advised around sundews. D. capillaris and D. filiformis var. traycii should have some winter protection from zone 7 northward. These species can be given a temporary winter blanket of pine needles from Dec.-Mar. The other species are quite hardy without protection.

Sundews prefer full sun to about 40% shade. They are good companions with Sarracenia, thriving under largely the same conditions. We recommend a soil mix of 1/3 sand and 2/3 peat moss as a bog garden or container mix. When planting, keep the small crown above the soil surface and firm the soil gently around the plants to reduce splash from rain. Water transplants well and keep moist but not continuously flooded. If seeds were sent with plants, sow them immediately by sprinkling on the soil surface. Hardy sundew seed generally germinates after exposure to winter cold (stratification). Thus, seedlings appears the following spring. The first year seedlings are very tiny and easily overlooked. If your plants were sent with seed pods on them, you can leave the pods on the plant or remove them when dry and brownish and spread the seed in other locations.

While D. capillaris tends to keep its leaves, the other species defoliate for the winter and survive as small buds=hibernaculum. Do not be alarmed if a whole colony "vanishes" for the winter.

Feeding or fertilizing are not recommended for sundews as they will trap small insects on their own. No insects are needed during the winter.

Be sure to remove weeds as they appear; sundews are poor competitors and are easily uprooted if nearby weeds are large when pulled. Mosses can also bury sundews, so pull these from around plants, if taller types of moss appear.

After several seasons, you should notice sundews spreading. They are not harmful to other plants in the bog garden because they do not compete with or overgrow other plants. Once established, sundews are relatively easy to maintain and provide much pleasure to those who pause and look closely!

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

and heres one from :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb/terrarium.html

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

too long for me to copy paste, it would take up too much room and A mod might get mad at me and I want to become a mod. so I can't get in trouble with them
tounge.gif

Thanks for replying Mr. Well I have to wait until next sprimg to do the rreraium I wanted since my Venus got stolen. I hope that since it doesnt help me for now it will help other people in the present and myself in the future
Thanks and take care
Melissa
confused.gif

Back