What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp tissue culture in the home kitchen

Yeah, I thought it was interesting. I was planning on trying that once I got a CP that I wanted to clone.

I find TC extremely interesting. I have always been a science buff, and this is something I would love to experiment with. Is there anyone here with first hand experience with TC?

Casper

I did TC way back when in a plant physiology class lab. It was a total failure due to a contamination problem, but the professor later realized there had been a problem in the lab not caused by us. Unfortunately, we didn't get another chance at it. The key is to be meticulous. If you can reliably make beer, you can do TC. The major difference is you can't boil everything when doing TC. But you don't need to cap a couple cases of bottles when you're done with TC.

i found that website a while back , very itneresting , informative and a bit expensive , i consiered trying it buy i thought that the culture would've gotten contaminated .

I did mammalian cell culture for years. Same basic principles. Yeah, the previous posters were right on: its an expensive endeavour. And, until you get good at it, theres gonna be lots of failures (again adding to the expense). One alternative is to contact your local universities or biological specimen processing facility (some blood banks, wherever you can find a sterile hood and autoclave). Ask if you can use their facility, maybe after classes or business is done. You might be surprised, most scientists get totally excited when laymen express an interest in doing anything scientific. Then, after youve innoculated and stuff, you can cover/seal the culture and move it back to your home. Ive also got a book called "plants from test tubes". Its a bit technical, but it gives a great background in plant TC. Im open for any questions anyone may have. Ill try to help if anyone needs it.

Yeah there looks like an Autoclave with gloves and stuff at work that isn't being used for anything since I've been there. So I'm hoping to be able to use my work's lab to sterialize everything and then I can later bring it home.

Oh well, I currently don't have a plant I want to risk this on yet anyways. But I can't wait to do something like that eventually.
smile.gif

We're all nuts here... me and all these people in my head with me...

Edit: Hey, where did all that mod tomfoolery go to i was referring to?

Good article

On the topic of sterilization,
I used to grow mushrooms in mason jars in a medium of brown rice and vermiculite. I used a pressure cooker to sterilize everything and never lost a batch. Once in a while I would have a bottle or two that were contaminated however the batch as a whole was always a success.

What an excellent site, thanks for posting it. I wish I had the space and time to persue this. Casper, I hope you and others do try this process.

Back