What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Habitat destruction: Disinterested Officials

Way to Go everyone! Pats on the back all around! (Ready for Round 2!)

I sent them an email which was NOT "annoying". I expressed my concern in a nice way. And I got an email back in just a few days which I thought was reasonable...filling in some of the gaps in the facts. It has a lot to do with centuries old grazing laws. I don't think they are insensitive to the subject but want to work out something that will please all parties. And I hope they do.

Suzanne

Who ever wants to organize a petition, you could try http://www.petitiononline.com/. Some one start it and post the link. We'll all go "sign" it.

And if the Forestry Department is upset about getting annoying E-mails from people concerned about the environment, maybe they are in wrong line of work.

D. Buck.

my sentiments exactly DB.

I don't understand how the EPA can take someones land away because of a beaer dam, or why I have to get federal permission to cut down a mountain cedar tree (WEED!) because of the spotted owl (which is not even indigenous to our area), or we can take land away from people for immenent domain, but we cant bypass centuries old grazing laws and protect a few acres... I mean, it is obvious the cattle never grazed there in the past, otherwise the bog would have been destroyed long ago.

HEY EVERYONE LISTEN UP!!!! BUY TEXAS BEEF!
smile.gif

i think these special sites where endangered cp species exist should be protected by all means,look at all the ones that have been destroyed.they are there for us to enjoy and we all love them enough to post this many messages on this subject.it makes me sad to see what damage that has already been done over the years,but now we have all of you each one voice lets use it and be heard,at least this time we will be heard and noted.so that if there is ever a next time maybe it will be different...
smile.gif

well, with 95% of all CP habitats destroyed more steps do need to be taken. I am not all for stealing peoples land, I am for protecting that land, letting the owners keep it and steward it properly, or entrusting that stewardship to another who cares. The owners in this instance seem to be pretty cool people, and concerned with these plants plight at that.

Pyro and I have been taling about how as hobbyists, we have a responsibility to give back if we can, I know a lot of us are not in a position to do that, but those of us that have large collections, or space, and time and inclination, could literally work as teams to tissue culture, cultivate, and through reasonable means neccessary, work to multiply a captive population of endangered plants such as Darlingtona 'Othello' and Sarracenia Oreophylla (sandy mountain as well), in self made programs to re-introduce these plants into the wild through groups like the forestry service, and so on.

I mean, think about it. Say three or four of you have Darlingtona 'Othello' and it's big enough to take cuttings, or you trade pollen and get seed. Ship your cuttings and seeds to someone who knows how to tissue culture, and is willing to make the investment in time and money, perhaps help that person defer the costs a little, then if we send those plants to someone who can harden them off, and grow them out to a mature size, we could then contact the guy who stewards this bog, and say "Hey... we got 500 Darlingtona Othello to help you re-populate your bog since the friggin cows ate it."

He goes "GREAT! takes the plants, tags them, makes sure they are pure, and satisfies his needs to ensure that we aren't polluting the gene pool in this bog, and boom, all of a sudden we have a restoration occuring at a much more rapid pace.

Sarracenia Oreophylla, if enough people got involved in returning this plant to the wild, trading it freely amongst hobbyists, and so on, we could restore and augment endangered habitats and so on, perhaps taking this plant off the endangered species list.

I don't think we can ever recover 95% habitat loss, but a devoted group of hobbyists could most definately make a significant impact on the decline of precious natural resources.

With the caveats that it is done responsibly, and with the proper approval (government if neccessary) and so on... I am not an environmental expert, so I could be way off base and blowing sunshine out m.. err... um... ear... but it all sounds good to me.

look at all the plants that have been used for medicinal purposes to cure diseases etc,one day cps may be used for a cure for a certain disease or symptom.and they wont have none cause they wiped out all the population of rare plants already.it just makes me sad that our wild cps are being destroyed.
sad.gif

Back