What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp forums photo albums

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
Me either! My photos!!!

Capslock

theres a photo album?

Pat Lathem, started the album site last year. By May, Pat realized that the site was taking up more Web space (and time) than he had available. Phil Crane volunteered to take it over from Pat and by the end of May it was moved to Phil's site. The site was unavailable for a few days in late May while the new DNS changes propagated.

According to an email that I received from Pat on Tuesday (10/26), this new outage is likely the result of the domain name subscription expiring and not (yet?) being renewed. I have not heard what plans Phil has for the site. It would be a real shame if all of those wonderful photos disappeared.

This is exactly why electonic media is not the best to use for recording important data: it is convenient while it is there, but printed matter once printed stays available. Web publication is usually of short relative duration.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 28 2004,2:32)]... printed matter once printed stays available. Web publication is usually of short relative duration.
The availability of printed documents is also relative. Have you ever attempted to get a copy of a Carnivorous Plant Newsletter from a local library? Any library?

Ever tried to get a copy of
Bulletin du Jardin Botanique de l'État à Bruxelles vol 17 (1945) where Drosera bequaertii, insolita, and katangensis were described?

To be sure, you cannot find these on the Web either, but obtaining a printed copy is often exceedingly difficult, but admittedly not impossible. To date, the value of the Web has been the abililty to search vast resources and instantly obtain information previously unavailable to the average person. Long-term and stable availability of information is simply a matter of the will of the manager of that information, whether Web-based or printed. You are probably aware that the acquisition and retention of hard-copy documents by your local public or university library has been declining rapidly.

Bulletin of the Botanical Garden of Brussells State.

This morning I received an email from Phil Crane:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've made the request to move the domain over to our server today. Hopefully it'll be in effect in the next 24 hours or so.
It takes a while for the changes to propagate through the various DNS locations, but www.cpforums.org should be back online soon.

Hooray! After a long hiatus the photo albums are back on-line, thanks to the efforts of Phil Crane and Pat Lathem.

Thanks! I was looking for this thread earlier and couldn't find it. Finally fixed the DNS issues!

Thanks Pat! And thanks Phil! It's a great service you provide!

Capslock

Does this mean there is more space available now??  I thought it was full and we couldn't post any more pics.

I'm glad to see its still alive.  Its a wonderful place to look at plant photos.  Thanks to Pat for doing it in the first place.  We love it!!  
smile_r_32.gif

Oh yeah...and thanks to that guy Phil too.
smile_m_32.gif

I love looking at all of the photos.
Thanks Pat.  Thanks Phil.  
biggrin.gif

Back