What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

it was just such a gorgeous day today that i HAD to visit my local CP bog, in the heart of a nearby wildlife refuge. and what a beautiful hike it was
smile.gif
enjoy our lovely sarr's and dews, straight from the Long Island Pine Barrens.

first... cacti in Long Island?! yup, eastern prickly paear cactus is a native species.
qwr_8-18-05_pricklypear1.jpg

the cactus meadow
qwr_8-18-05_cactushabitat.jpg

now for the lovely Sarracenia
smile.gif
i know they're all S. purpurea but i'm not sure if they're ssp. purpurea or venosa, i think LI is right on the border between the two varieties' ranges.

caught them flowering too!
qwr_8-18-05_sarrflowers.jpg

qwr_8-18-05_sarr4closeup.jpg

qwr_8-18-05_sarr3.jpg

and if you look very closely, you can also find a few Drosera poking up through the sphagnum...
qwr_8-18-05_dews2.jpg

parting shots... taken at the butterfly garden and wildlife refuge areas.

unidentified butterfly
qwr_8-18-05_butterfly.jpg

Great Horned Owl
qwr_8-18-05_hornedowl3.jpg

any further/corrected ID's welcome ;)

Very nice pics! You mean to tell me that I grew near indigenous CP's and didn't know it?

I think there is a variant of purpurea called intergrade but that only happens in the Pine Barrens of NJ if I'm not mistaken, you are on the Northern border still of purpurea so there shouldn't be any subsp. venosa there, unless someone introduced them and they overwintered. The one purp you photographed looks like S. purpurea subsp. purpurea f. heterophylla which is fairly uncommon.

Heather'
Those are some nice pics. It really was a nice day on wed., glad you got to enjoy it.
I'm planning a trip to the NJ Pine Barrens on sat., I just hope the weather holds out. They're calling for isolated t-storms.
Maybe someday you can organize a field trip out by you, and I can do one here for some of the other CPers out there. Sort of like Ozzy's trip/tour to the Green Swamp offer(under general discussions on 8/18).

Nice pictures,thanks for sharing!

Jerry

Hi Heather,

You live on Long Island? I'm out there every other Monday (well, not too far out....Just exit 46 on 495).

I've always wanted to visit the pine barrens out there....How far out on the island is it? I'm off from work next week, so maybe it would be worth a trip out there with the family....Picnic & such.

Oh, and I think the butterfly you have in the pic is a red admiral, but I'm not 100% sure - I'd need a closer look.

oh cool! the butterfly is a silver spotted skipper.

Back