What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling my highland terrarium?

Ok folks, all winter Ive had to heat my highland terrarium and simply had to switch off the heat at night to get a nice temperature drop. However, now summer is here Im looking for a way to cool the tank down at night.Currently Im using a 2 litre bottle straight from the freezer to drop the temps but its not terribly effective. Any thought or how tos would be most welcome.

Thanks
Bobble
biggrin.gif

How big is the growing chamber? What temperature are you trying to reach and how much of a drop is this from it's current nighttime temperature?

Tony

Its a 4ft x 16in x 16in fishtank. Average daytime temp is 25 degrees c. Night temps are only going down about 5 degrees. I want a 10 degree drop if possible.

Thanks
Bobble

Where is the terrarium? I keep highland neps in my greenhouse in the UK in summer with no heating. The ambient summer night/day temps seem to suit them ok with a fan and mist machine assisting (though I have nothing too demanding I guess). If you're in Scotland (as your profile says), it would be most straightforward to pop the terrarium outside somewhere and plug in the heater again if cold nights are forecast. Careful it doesn't stew in the sunshine though.

More frozen water bottles.
smile.gif

With that large of an aquarium, you're going to need more than one 2 liter bottle to have a useful effect, IMHO.
When I was using this method, I used three one liter bottles for a 2 foot long aquarium.

Also, you may wish to alternate bottles. Depending on your freezer, the water bottle may look frozen, but may not be completely frozen after only 12 hours.

Back