What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool Pic

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tristan @ June 23 2002,12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the acid(more like enzymes) were that strong growing these plants would be illegal and dangerous.
wow.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That

I saw it happen! How can you deny what I say? When somebody sees something happen, then you know it happened! I can't believe noone will believe me!
mad.gif

i think the spider crawled out while you wernt looking. it brobly had a web attached to the pitcher and when you knocked it in the fluid, it just climbed back up the web and out it went. some spiders actually live inside the pitchers and can climb the walls of the pitcher using web. they take advantage of the pitcher and get easy prey that way.

so far iron monkeys explanation is great
especially since flytrapgurl is so sick of spiders as she said earlier, she probablhy blinked or something and the spider jumped out

Sorry flytrapgurl, don't mean to call you a lier or on drugs, but maybe you are using the wrong terminology to describe what happen to the spider
wink.gif

You say that the exoskeleton was not digested...then how do you know the internal "gut" of the spider was digested in 5 SECONDS? Did you removed the spider after 5 seconds from the pitcher plant and examined it?

Or are you using the word "digested" to describe the spider drowning and sinking to the bottom of the pitcher plant in 5 seconds?

What did you visually witness that indicated that the spider's body indeed was "digested" if the exoskeleton was still intact?

hey flytrapgirl, the digestive fluid looks kinda murky so you just probaly thought that the spider was digested, because when it is under the fluid it does kinda look like there is only the exo-skeleton left ... thats the only thing i can think of ..
wink.gif

Apology accepted and I forgive you. BTW, I know for sure that it didn't crawl out, I watched it from the time it drowned to the time it was digested. And everything did digest, because I saw the exoskeleton, it was all clear spider skin except for the black feet and eyes. Ok, maybe I can explain all this, I know grass spiders don't have a lot of meat on them, so, maybe it just doesn't take very long at all for the plant to digest the small amount of tissue on the spidey.

P.S. Is the fluid SUPPOSED to be kinda murky? Because the fluid inside my pitchers is completely clear, yet I know it must have fluid mixed with the water because it digests bugs well.
confused.gif

I think that it could have just crawled (yes, i've seen bugs crawl to the bottom) to the bottom of the pitcher... Did you hold it up to the light? sometimes they crawl out of view for me, thats all...

Flytrapgurl, I know you saw the exoskeleton...everybody can is the exoskeleton of an insect regardless if it's insides are there or not. You still did not explain how you know it was digested simply by looking at it. Many spiders have clear exoskeleton while it's alive.

Next time, drop another spider in your pitcher plant and pull out the spider after 5 seconds. Then squeeze it between your fingers and let as know if you still believe a pitcher plant can digest insects in 5 SECONDS.

Now just how excactly do you suggest I pull it out? LOL
tounge.gif

P.S. I saw JUST the exoskeleton, there was nothing else there. Like I said, I may not be right on this but, maybe the plant digested the spider so fast because grass spiders have very little flesh on them(that I know), so it did not take very long to digest what little amount of ''digestables'' that there were on the spider.

Back