What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constructing basment grow room

Hi,
my cp project is starting to get off the ground i have a 20 foot by 20 foot growing area (basement 6.5 foot ceiling) I'm making into a green house growing chamber for cp's i plan to grow any an all i can get my hands on. I'm adding 2 large ultrasonic humidifiers, an exhaust vent with fan, 8 pools as mini bog's and several shelfs for more growing space i will post pics at various points in construction. I'm very excited anyhow before this post gets to large here is my main questions:

*what wattage, Kelvin, mounting distance/position, high pressure sodium bulb would i need to    
 cover the entire room? Suggested ballast unit to accompany it? Other light bulb types that should accompany HPS bulbs for proper light spectrum?

*how powerful a exhaust fan would be needed? Air intake/cross ventilation fan needed?

*Any special priming/painting required to prep room for high humidity/heat? ( basment has concrete floors wood sealing beam's sheet rock walls painted with interior paint ) humidity level for broad spectrum of plant's?

*can any one offer suggestions on a project like this possibly things i should consider, other items i might need. any input is much welcome/needed.

i may edit with more questions later as they pop up.
thanks for reading/commenting
-Steve S

Hey Steve,
Along with being a police officer I also do mold remediation. Which is the removal of black mold from residences. The key reason houses get black mold is from moisture entering there house in an area such as a basement that doesnt have outside ventilation. The mold then can grow on any porous surface, most likely your wood beams. I dont know how much you know about black mold, but it is commenly found in the wild but when it starts to grow in a confined space that people would inhabit the spores will enter the lungs causeing bad problems and even possible death in the young and old. But there is a way to prevent the mold. You will need to treat any and all porous surface with an anti-fungal-mold spray made to enter the surface and prevent the mold. If you are able to treat all the surfaces you will be fine. But it is very hard to get every crack and crevis. And once you get black mold it is difficult, dangerous, and expensive to get it removed. The most recent house I worked on was so bad that the state actually condemed the house not allowing the owners to occupy it until treated. Sorry to burst your bubble just thought I should add my professional opinion. Craig

I just remembered the name of the treatment spray we use. Its called Anti-Microbe. I dont know where you can get it though non-commercially.

Great info to know. i will spray it or find another alternative method
mold shall not stop me!
to be honest i wanted to cover entire room in plastic sealed by silicon to retain heat + moisture
just an ideal. what do you think of that?

That would most definatly help. I would still treat any wood surface put if you are planning on sealing it with plastic it will serve as a vapor block that would guard against the mold. Sounds like you have the right idea, wish I had a basement for that purpose. Even though my girlfriend tells me I have to many plants to begin with
smile.gif

I have used marine paint with great success.

For lights I would reccomend MH not HPS. The reason being is HPS is more for flowering, it doesn't have as much of the growing spectrum as needed. MH is however very hot and creates much heat. The foggers put out alot of humidity very quickly 2 large ones maybe too much . I would recomend more of an idea where humidity is brought in through the ventilation. The fog creates a soggy environment very quickly as well as needing to be in the upper area of tall spaces otherwise it just settles as water. Swords has a very nice setup for venting and bringing in new humid air. you may try PMing him for his blueprint for an idea.

Joe

Back