What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused about Sphagnum

Im alittle confused about the term sphagnum now. Is sphagnum moss the long fibered one or the lil green sprigs on peat and other soil? Can anyone give me a list of all the shpagnum terms. Thank you-Zach

Sphagnum Peat Moss - Is like regular soil except the spaghnum moss has been shredded.

Long Fiber Sphagnum witch is the non-shredded kind, usually brown.

I am not sure what you mean by the little green sprigs on peat and other soil? Usually sphagnum can have different meaning to it. Just by say sphagnum could mean several things.

Hope this helps...

travis

Zach,
The little green sprigs are shagnum moss that has sprouted from spores. In bogs, this grows and forms thick layers that are cut, harvested and sold as long fibered sphagnum moss (LFS) or ground up and sold as sphagnum peat moss.

Does this clear it up a little?

Take care

im cleared now. So the lil sprigs from the spores can eventually grow to large mosses used for LF sphagnum.

absolutely.. I have several HUGE patches of sphagnum growing in my tank, and I never had anything but dead sphagnum in there to start with...

How long does it take to take off? I have some little sprigs, but they've been little for a long time, but they're still growing. Anyway to speed it up?

I don't know about speeding it up...

From my experience, growth is slow... I went form zero Square inches to about twenty square inches in different patches... and I have had this tank set up a little over a year.

Ok, well that's good news! I thought much longer! Your terrarium is awesome!

thanks... didn't know there were any pics of it still floating around since i discontinued my swbell account last week.

Back