What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conditioning plants

Does conditioning plants work? Not using conditioner but by changing their enviroment. Last summer I recieved some local plants (Drosera) from up north that grew in basically in the same area as where I was sent them from. The original set of plantlets died when put outside the rest of the seed germinated this winter. So I have some D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia growing. Do you think they will survive summer? They seem to have conditioned well.

I can't speak for CP's...but I can speak for Boston ferns. They can be conditioned to take less watering. They can also be conditioned to take cooler weather than normal.

This is technically not conditioning...but on the south side of my house, in full sun, I can grow perennials native to zone 6. I mulch them heavily in late fall. The idea, as it was explained to me, is being able to create a micro-climate.

My theory is that plants are plants...they all have somewhat unique needs. If you know those needs, and can supply them by whatever means, you will be successful. April

I'm not sure what you mean by conditioning them. Do you mean acclimate them? I take at least one week to move most plants from indoors to full sun. They first go to the north side of the house, where they gety used to temperature variations and the wind. Then they move to where they get early and late sun. Then to where they get dappled sun all day. Then to full sun. I use extra time if it's especially hot & sunny.

Yes I meant acclimate. I don't know wh I used the word conditioning. Can I acclimate D. rotundifolia to my bog in NE Florida? Do you think it will work? I moved my pot out in winter and in febuary or so some seed sprouted and now I have a few plants. Do you think they will survive summer?

Back