What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concrete Planter?

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
Although winter has just started my mind is already on spring projects.

One of my goals next year is to grow cephalotus outdoors in full sun. I have been looking for a planter that will hold up to wind, weather, and pests including my 3yo. Black wont do because of fear of overheating the roots.

I may have found my solution!

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/lawn-and-garden/concrete-planter/project

Do you see any problems with using concrete as a planter. Of course first thoughts would be leeching, but cephs are pretty resilient. I am planning on making 2 and putting a S. purpurea in the other.

any thoughts?

It seems like an interesting idea, and you could probably coat the inside with silicone sealant or something of that nature to prevent leaching.

What's wrong with a terracotta planter? Not only can you choose a size more readily (once concrete sets, that's it), but there are also decorative ones.

What's wrong with a terracotta planter? Not only can you choose a size more readily (once concrete sets, that's it), but there are also decorative ones.

looking for something that i can leave out in the yard and kind of forget it. a terracotta pot on the ground wouldnt be as safe as the project above. its taller and more critter proof.

I have been reading about that on other sites and have been excited about that info. Thanks for the link! peat moss and perlite makes it lighter and is already part of my arsenal at home! looks like I will be able to make a few of these giant planters for under $10.

Also found a ton of info about people using quikrete in fish tanks. maybe safer than orginally thought.

I've made a lot of them in the past.. The only down fall is the cure time.. You can buy fiberglass fibers and add into the mix for reinforcement too..

While I have never done hypertufa, myself (lack any kind of space for storing materials or working on such projects), I have heard a lot of good things about it. If you haven't found this site already, you may wish to peruse here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/hypertufa/

Could do just normal plastic with a metal base to weight it down.
Hypertufa looks a lot nicer though. Id go with that.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I made one yesterday! Super excited about how it may turn out. I didn't go with the hypertufa. Just straight concrete for the first one. If the first one turns out ok I will try the hypertufa. I didn't find the Portland concrete until after I had already started the first one. Plus I was this thing as tough as possible!

Still in the mold currently. I brought it inside to cure in a warmer atmosphere. Man is this thing heavy! I will take it out of the mold tomorrow and continue letting it cure. Then I will shove it outside to weather a bit before the spring! By then all of the leeching would have already happen by the time I add the ceph.

I'll post a pic when I get it out of the mold.

If the piece is a sizable one, you'd be better off leaving it in the mold and kept moist. The longer the chemical reaction can continue, the stronger the piece should be.

All done!

I wouldn't trust a few months of outdoor exposure to knock down the alkalinity sufficiently to give a pH suitable for acid loving cps. Before you plant anything in it, plug any drain holes and fill it with cp suitable water. Let it sit a day and then check the pH of the water. You might be surprised at how high it still is. The procedure for cement stuff used for fish is to soak it in a solution of muriatic acid in water.

Back