What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computers and Photobucket and Cookies

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I borrowed a friend's camera a couple weeks ago and began taking updated pictures. Then I got togther with him and we downloaded the pics onto his computer. Unfortunately, most of the pictures were lousy and unclear, and had to be culled. I have very little skill with judging distance, lighting, and zoom.

We also ran into trouble with trying to uploading them to my Photobucket account. the box for uploading images and videos didn't appear, even though we were logged onto my account on his computer. Nor could he figure out how to put them on disk or send them, en masse, to my Email account. Only one pic got sent.

So I took a bunch more pictures and these also had a lot of culls. Last Sunday I went back and took even more pictures and most of them looked reasonable and I thought I had this account figured out. I went to the library and was able to see the upload box. Thought it was just a Photobucket issue, but when we got together last night (another 2 hours), it didn't show up. They are all on his My Documents. We still couldn't get them onto Photobucket, nor was his computer capable of putting them on disk, nor could he send them to my Email (too much KB). He can send them one at a time, but....

Anyways, I thought of another idea today. Why not have him create his account on Photobucket, so they can at least be uploaded to the hostinmg site? And then I should be able to copy and paste them to my MY Documents and then to my account. Whaddya think? This has been a very time-consuming process!

If photobucket doesnt work, they have a new interface... wich is really weird...

maybe try refreshing cookies, and cache's...

but I would try
imageshack.us... its just as easy, and you dont have to sign on every time... I like it... but its not as "user friendly" but is understandable enough.

I have never used Photobucket (or any image site for that matter), but have a basic understanding of the technologies involved.  Most have transitioned from simple html form file fields and use client side scripting to create a more intuitive and flashy interface.  The downside of this, of course, is that due to the wide variety of available browsers and plethora of security settings nowadays these interfaces are much more likely to break on any given computer.

My guess would be that a security setting is causing a java control not to load properly.  If using Internet Explorer, go into "tools" - "internet options" - "security".  "Internet" should already be highlighted so click "custom level...".  Look at the options under "scripting" and "activeX controls and plug-ins" and change anything that is listed as "disabled" to "prompt".  Make a note of what you have changed as well as you will want to change these back when you are done.  After making changes, be sure to OK out of each window and then close IE completely.  Start IE back up and try again, allowing any neccessary applets to install and load.

Alternately, if you trust Photobucket, go into "tools" - "internet options" - "security" again and click on the "trusted sites" icon.  Then click the "sites..." button.  Type "*.photobucket.com" (or whatever the name is in the format *.domainname.com) and then click the "add" button.  OK out of everything, restart IE completely, then try again.  I'm pretty confident this will solve the problem.

Keep common sense in mind during this process; if a prompt asks if it can install IWillShowYouXXX, don't allow it to install. If you still have issues post back here with a link to the photosite and I'll try to log in over the weekend and see specifically how their upload page is setup.

Jimscott how about trying ringo for your pictures. Its who I use and works pretty well. Its also free. If you insist on useing photobucket how about clearing his cookies, and temp internet files. I use window washer for that purpose, and do it manualy. There are alot of folks that don;t like window washer though. So do it manualy unter tools internet options and delete files and delete cookies and clear history. Make sure you check the box to delete offline files when you click the delete files bottom. If it hasn't been done in a while it may take some time. I hope that helps. If not Goodluck. Its beyond me.

Lotsa good ideas here. Thanks! In the meantime I registered with their discussion forum and posed the question. Here was the initial response:

Dear jimscott,

Mamma Roo has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Upload Images & Videos Box not appearing - in the Photobucket Technical Help forum of Photobucket Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.photobucket.com/showthread.php?t=14132&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Hi there,

It sounds like it could also be a firewall issue. His computer is probably blocking those functions. You should get him to check to make sure that Photobucket is not blocked, that his security is set to medium, will accept cookies, and has added photobucket to his safe sites list.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Photobucket Forums

So now, when I get together with my friend, we will start with the easiest approach and deal with his security and cookies. I'll keep you posted. thanks for the input.

Uhh... sorry Jim. I don't use any image sites. Whenever I upload pictures, I just keep them in a folder. After a while, I just delete them once the folder gets too large. I still keep the original images in the digi cam though.

Hopefully it's worked for you by now.

Keep in mind that deleting cookies could have other adverse affects. Many sites use them to store login or preference information, all of which will need to be reset once the cookies are cleared.

Back