What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer death

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
For some time my poor computer has been dying.
It was taking many attempts to boot, before it actually came to life. When I looked into it, some how a trace on one of my 256 meg of ram had a burnt trace. I thought I would fix it by removing the damaged ram. But still had the same problem. So I took out my motherboard Saturday and I saw that one of the pins in the first ram bank was damaged.
So today my computer does not want to boot at all. I guess it is a good thing I ordered my new motherboard / processor and ram Sunday.
I have not had any games on my computer for some time, I'm really anxious to try some out with my new setup I'm getting. It's a AMD Athlon XP 2900+ with a Mach Speed motherboard and 1 gig of 400mhz ram. Sould really fly.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Wow...lucky you. Well, not for the dead computer but for the new stuff.
smile.gif

I wish I could get a new computer. But a new camera comes first at this point.

A bit overkill on the ram, but nice anyway. How much did it run ya (If you don't mind my asking)? Well, in any case, I hope you like your new setup, it always is refreshing to get something new after putting up with a clunker for a long time.

PlantAKiss,
I've been saving my money to hopefully get a SLR next time I upgrade.

Est,
What are you talking about? I'd buy more RAM if I had the money.
I do a lot of photo editing, graphics, and games. I had a 1.2GHZ processor and 512 of RAM and choked up my system lots of times.

What I can tell so far which is not much because I barely have the system running, just enough to get on here quickly...... Mazda commercial........ ZOOM, ZOOM.
smile_n_32.gif

I've been looking to throw my current computer off a building and buying an alienware. Too bad I only have 7 dollars in my wallet that I lost. ^_^;

Just noticed I forgot to give the price. Once I get all the rebates back it will cost $200.00.
I ordered the parts from Tigerdirect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've been looking to throw my current computer off a building and buying an alienware. Too bad I only have 7 dollars in my wallet that I lost. ^_^;

The time tested rule is: build it yourself, save some bucks. I'm not saying yuo need to do everything on your own, but everything required can be found in a manual purchased with the equipment. I've found that it's all about deals. Radeon 9600 XT- $50 after rebate, and with a Half Life 2 voucher inside ( was gonna buy the game anwyway, so, that's one heck of a deal. Oh, and this was RIGHT when the 9600 came out
smile.gif
). Good motherboard (could be better, but it works fine for everything I want out of it) along with 2.6 GHz processor- also about $50. RAM (DDR, of course) 512mb- $40 or $50 after rebate (not bad considering RAM price inflation!) The sunday paper is the place to check, you can find awesome deals. If you have a Fry's around, that's great too, but you can find deals like that at Circuit City, Staples, and Office Max. Ah, another one off the top of my head: Awesome laser colour printer- $200 as opposed to the minimum of about $800 that you find even with deals (I forget what brand it is and all, but if anyone is really that interested, I can check). Oh, and a case for $5. As for harddrives, there are offers constantly, lots of 'em really good (50cents/gig if memory serves).
Sorry, that's a bit jumbled, but the real moral is FORGET AlienWare. They have spiffy looking things, but spiffy or not, it's WAY too expensive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do a lot of photo editing, graphics, and games.

Ah, ok, that makes nore sense then, the photo editing and graphics bit, that is. I know far too many people who have grossly excessive amounts of RAM for what they're doing (generally gaming). Then when coupled with the fact that they bought the RAM overprices, well, it's almost enough to make a geek cry.
smile_o_32.gif
The simple matter is that, at this point, you don't need even a gig to run games, nowadays the trend is showing more reliance on videocards than the CPU compared to what it used to be. In any case, if you're doing graphical stuff, I'll let you go without a lecture and give you a pat on the back instead.
biggrin.gif

--Jonathan

My next upgrade will most likely be a better graphics card some time down the road. I have an old ATI 64 DDR card I bought a few years ago.
Cost more then I spent for my new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

IMHO, (Humble as in working with over 27,000 computers in my current job) Win XP doesn't even begin to shine until it's got a gig oof RAM to play with.

My current fav manufacturer of MB's is DFI, their lanparty series of boards is absolutlely awesome.

Sounds like a nice setup Steve.Other places for cpu stuff is newegg.com and zipflyzoom.com.

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]IMHO, (Humble as in working with over 27,000 computers in my current job) Win XP doesn't even begin to shine until it's got a gig oof RAM to play with.

I never really took a shining to XP, and luckily none of the computers that I work on run it, so I don't encounter it much. Though, I remember looking at the specs for Longhorn and they were outragous, so when you say that XP needs a gig to run nicely, I'm in no way suprised. I wont get off on my windows rant though, don't worry.
biggrin.gif
Well, in any case, hope you enjoy your new setup.

Back