What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Companion plants

Here's a new one (I think).

I want to keep my N. American drosera alive in a smallish outdoor bog (a 10 gal pot). There are sarrs and a flytrap in it already. It'll get a lot of sun--a lot.

What companion plants will provide the 'dews protection from the wind and a little shade without overwhelming them and the other carnivores? I do not think that the sarrs alone are going to do right by the dews.

Thanks again! I am always very grateful for the help I get here.

Steve

bog grass, you can get it at californiacarnivores. just keep it in a separate pot and plant the pot in front of the dew, and it should provide enough shade. (you can even clip it if it gets too high!
tounge.gif
)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 24 2003,6:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">bog grass, you can get it at californiacarnivores. just keep it in a separate pot and plant the pot in front of the dew, and it should provide enough shade. (you can even clip it if it gets too high!
tounge.gif
)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks!!

You know, I'd never thought of just using another pot.  Good grief.

Obviously, the brain is deteriorating rapidly.  I'd put myself in a home right now, "board for the simples" as they used to say, except they won't let me keep carnivorous plants there.

Anything I can keep in the same pot?

Steve

I am putting a large assortment of plants in my bog, but I will separate the larger, dominent plants from the CPs with a hidden wall, under earth. Hopefully it works.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (steveo @ Mar. 24 2003,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
bog grass, you can get it at californiacarnivores. just keep it in a separate pot and plant the pot in front of the dew, and it should provide enough shade. (you can even clip it if it gets too high!
tounge.gif
)
<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks!!

You know, I'd never thought of just using another pot.  Good grief.

Anything I can keep in the same pot?

Steve [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, you shouldn't, the bog grass might start growing everywhere and might cloke out the bog! (or any plants in the separate pot, if you keep it in a separate pot) Just bury the smaller pot in the bog medium, it should work nicely. If you want, you can let it grow all over the bog, only you would have to do alot of weeding of any access grass you don't want in the summer. Oh, and don't let the bog grass choke out any Drosera that might be in there, in fact, don't let it choke out anything! (now you wouldn't want a unhealthy cp, would you?
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
)

Back