What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compact soil

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    soil

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I have compact soild on our land . the dogs take certain paths and always follow them whenever they go out and it has compacted the soil there.

But thats besides the point. Basicly i have compacted soils in the yard and in my potted plants soil (wrong soil mixture)

I want to plant certain species of plants in the yard that are sensitive to soil compaction (oak, sumac and others). How do i remedy the soil compaction problem?

Also my potted house plants are dieing from compact soil too. What can i add to the soil mix of my potted plants to improve areation?

Perlite is ok, but if you can find it I'd recomend vermiculite. It's a heat expanded mica rock much like perlite, but dosen't tend to float like perlite is prone to doing in heavy rains. When you put the soil in the pot don't pack it down much. Neither ammendment adds much to the nutriant content of the soil so you can use pretty liberaly. As for the yard,I really don't know you may want to till it while adding compost.

As for the yard soil, providing organic compost will go far in improving soil aeration, as will the addition of peat. Once you have a good organic layer, earthworms will continue the process. Compost your garbage in a compost heap kept moist and turned weekly or so. In the spring, add the lower most layers into your soil with a garden fork.

Potting soil may be better areated as described above. For CP species the addition of LFS is also a good strategy, along with perlite. I would be a little more careful with the liberal use of vermiculite with CP mixes.

Its windy where we live. theres nothing to block the wind for miles behind our house. The compoast would be blown away.We cant put it in the front yard where its protected because its unsightly. What can we do?

Plant a low maintenance hedge around your yard. This will act as a wind break and if you pick flowering plants (like lilac bushes) they can add some beauty as well.
Compost should be worked into the soil when possible. You can also use composted manure for increasing nutrients and adding organic matter to your soil. Plant a quick growing cover crop to protect the soil until your lawn can get established. Check with your local extension agent for ideas on good plants to use.

smile.gif

BCK

Back