What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out of dormancy...

I was just wondering when S. purpurea's would be coming out of dormancy in the wild. What are the temperature requirements for it to begin to grow in the spring? I live in SW Wisconsin and the daily highs have been around 60 on average and lows in the 40's. Would the sarrs be coming out of dormancy yet in my area or do they need it warmer still?

Let me put it more succinctly....what are the reqirements for S. purpurea to break dormancy. THe reason why I want to know is that I've been keeping my plant outside lately and it has not been doing so well...the humidity has been too low for it, averaging around 30% in the day. It's also been windy...now would s. purpurea in the wild emerge later in the season when the humidity levels increase...if so then maybe it's too early to be putting my plant out.....

I would keep it outside.
I would say most S.purpureas are already growing.
I was at a bog two weeks ago in Ohio and they were just starting to put up new pitchers and flowers.
All my plants are slow to come out of dormacy because of the cold winter we had. But most of them have started growing.

My southern subspecies have already flowered and put out at least 2 pitchers. The local/northern variety is just starting to show it's buds.

Back