What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colourless pitchers

Just in case..... I am not making any kind of statement to disprove or question anyone and each to their own opinions.

However, just thought I might start a thread showing how there are some quite impressive Neps that have little or no colouring other than green.

Now, I'll admit when you walk into the greenhouse these 3 do not jump out at you as fast as many. They are neither large or colorful. However, once your eye trains on them there is certainly some subtle beauty.

The Albo is one of my favorites! It was mentioned in the thread about N. 'Rokko' how it is a very fast grower and known to grow up to 7ft per annum. I know it's a very generalised way to determine a plant's rate of growth but this green Albo has vined to over 5ft in 10 months.
NAlboPitcherFront.jpg

This Hirsuta is great. Took a while to settle in but is now steaming ahead nicely.
NHirsuta.jpg

What can I say?... It's a Vent!
NVentGreen.jpg

Actually I hate picking favorites. I love them all. Even the lowly Vent
smile_m_32.gif

Aaron.

Colorless does not make it less spectacular. Beauty is only as one perceives it to be.

Great pics. Got any more?

C

The white ventricosas are something!

I prefer them over the red clones, in fact. The way I see it, it's also a matter of matching the right colours to the right pitcher shape.

Amori

I also like the inermis, which is all green, and the campanulta, which has very little color (unless in BRIGHT light...well, mine anyway).

Those are great pics! I like the albo best of the three, I think...though I can't get mine to pitcher! It's finally growing, at least, but won't pitcher. Killin' me!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MadAboutCPs @ Dec. 07 2004,1:42)]Color does not make it less spectacular. Beauty is only as one perceives it to be.
I assumed you meant “Only green colors does not...” by the way.
But the above statements are a contradiction.
Of course everyone has different opinions therefore you can’t generalize that first statement.

Personally I do think pitchers with a lot of colors are more beautiful pitchers than others. However this doesn’t mean I think green pitchers are ugly!
I love that Albo shot. (Although good photography helps the photo/plant a lot...) But a Northiana with an extremely flared colorful peristome wins anyday of the week versus an all green one.

I like inermis......very good pics!

Schloaty,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like the Albo best of the three, I think...though I can't get mine to pitcher!

Is your green Albo actually growing though? My one was reluctant to pitcher at first yet the plant grew very rapidly. In fact the vine was well over 3ft by the time the lower leaves even started to threaten to pitcher. Even now I find those leaves that are trying to pitcher are well back from the growing tip.

Mine is also starting to produce tendrils that want to curl/grab on to things. I have noticed that where they have been able too, they pitcher much faster than if left hanging in the air.

Phyrex,

I think you read a bit too much into Christian’s post suggesting there was contradictions and generalisations. I’m sure he was simply confirming what I had said.

As I alluded to in my first post I was not trying to question anyone’s preferences. Each to their own. I love the more extroverted types of pitchers (eg. Previous similar posts I have made with some of Geoff Mansell’s hybrids) but see a very subtle beauty in these that I think sometimes is overlooked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](Although good photography helps the photo/plant a lot...)

Absolutely! There is no hiding I did my utmost to bring out the features on these pitchers. As I mentioned, the pitchers do not jump out at you when you walk into the glasshouse. Isolating them in a picture with a darker background, removing background distractions, framing, etc, all help to bring out their features. Hence why I tend to only 'supe-up' pictures in instances like this. Take the same shot with a lighter/busier background, no framing, less contrast, etc, etc and they’d look quite bland. As any pitcher would.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron:

That's a very interesting way of seeing things. In my case, every time i walk to a nepenthes greenhouse, all i see is pitchers. these don't jump out on me, i jump on them though.

smile_n_32.gif

Gus

But you're just weird Gus
smile_m_32.gif

I hope someone managed to get a photo of your outfit at the CP show last weekend
smile_k_ani_32.gif

AJ

Hi all:

I have to admit that i had a great time at the show and i hope you all did too!

Gus

Wow, Seandew, those are sweet pics! Looks like you guys had a very successfull show over there.

Aaron,

How about a pic of that all green maxima?
smile.gif

Those pics of the show were spectacular! Anybody catch the giant D. schizandra?

Cheers,

Joe

The pics of the cp show were great. You folks really have it together down there.
By the way, what was the purple pitchered Nep (frame 14?) between the bical hybrid and the Heliamphora?

Trent

I was actually wondering about that also...looks kind of bongso colored with a ventricosa peristome.

You can see part of the name tag. It looked like it may have originated from the Mansells, and the male parent is ventricosa.
Would really like to know what it is...
Trent

In fact, it would be nice to know what plants all of the photos without full labels show. For example,
http://www.vcps.au.com/showpics/021.jpg
shows a partial label that says ... SHARK". The traps look like a VFT 'Sawtooth' or perhaps the German "Dentata" or fine-tooth clone. But the label ... SHARK" is puzzling.

Joe,
Will try and get a shot of the green maxima today. It just put out a huge pitcher so could be timely.

Trent,
I can't remember exactly (Gus or Christian might), but I'm sure it is the Mansell hybrid - N. ventricosa x (truncata x mindanaoensis).

Aaron.

Phyrex,

I used the word 'color' as a broad term. I.e. only green pitchers. And this does not make the plant look less spectacular. Of course naturally someone will choose a plant exhibiting stronger characteristics than another. If you don't like it. That's O.K. If you like it. That's O.K. too.
smile.gif

---------------------------

Aaron,

I'm not too sure on that hybrid. Had a look at the website and it is listed.

----------------------------

Sean,

Great pics.
smile.gif
How embarrassing!
smile_t_32.gif
Can you change the ones with me in it?
confused.gif
??
smile_t_32.gif

Christian

Not my pics actually. These were taken by Paul Edwards the President of the VCPS- he didn't give me enough time to send some of my own. I've been too lazy to remove the couple of hundred photos from my camera yet.

Christian- unfortunately I can't remove the photos with you in them. If I could do that I'd remove the one with myself in it as well.

Bob- I'll speak to Paul and see if it's possible to add names to the photos.

Can't help with the purple hybrid. I have a much nicer photo of the plant which I can upload when I get my act together. For some reason I thought it had veitchii in it- I did read the label a few times and still can't remember.

Back