What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color

Earlier in the season my Vfts and my S. purpurea & S. purpurea hybrids were lacking of much color, however, now they are all getting absolutely magnificent coloring in their leaves. My D. 'Green Dragon' Vfts have nearly dark purple to maroon leaves that barely contast with the peat that thier growing in. And my S. purpurea have some extremely colorful pitchers, and I was wondering why this is happening. From what i've read, most of my plants should be losing their color due to less light in the span of a day, as much of them are. However a handful of them seem to have even more colorful traps.
As my D. 'denete' <span style='color:red'>[Edit: actually this cultivar name is registered as Dionaea 'Dentate Traps']</span>Vft seems to have dark maroon interriors of their traps as well as dark red on the exterior where it should be much greener. I don't know what's happening.

Sarracenia purpurea often gain color in the winter as the weather cools down. I'm not sure why, though. Mine are really dark red even though it gets very dim light.

-Ben

S. 'Judith Hindle' is a Sarracenia that does that. it just gets redder and redder and redder!!!
Alex

The creation of redness seems to be related to various factors - light, warmth, cold, age etc etc. Different plants seem to respond to different factors. I have one VFT that looks it's reddest when dormancy is starting.

My VFT starting putting up a flower stalk a couple weeks ago, now the insides of some of the traps are really beginning to redden up, even the cilia.

yeah, both of my pings have sent up like 3 flower stalks each

Some shots:

November 25:

01020021.jpg

December 25:

00640008.jpg

00640009.jpg

00640010.jpg

Notice the "dew" (nectar) around the margins. Looks like a white powder in these photos. Some of the new leaves are red on the outside (no photos yet)!

Not a Number, are you planning to let your VFT's flower?

I'm actually going to donate the stalk to science. It's about 4.5" right now, soon to get clipped.

Back