What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...it's almost like I'm a full time student or something, oh yeah, I am. LOL!

Sorry for not being around, it's been crazy this semester. Anyhow, I see we have a forum upgrade, nice. How has everyone been? I have plant news to blab on again.

Flytraps:
Stupid fungicide making all the leaves from the spray time grow in all funky and mutated. Oh well, their ugly but alive... except "Green", well, it's still alive, barely. I don't know what to do with this pathetic thing. It's been over a year since it went into shock (directly after purchase) and it's STILL getting worse (if that is even possible). I honestly don't know how the thing survived long enough for the store to sell it. Anyhow, if I actually get it through this episode of near death it's going up for free adoption to someone in a more southern climate because I'm out of other ideas on how to make the stupid thing happy. :p

Neps:
Weeeee, I almost killed one because a clear plastic thingy got stuck to the bottom and it didn't get water for two weeks. LOL, I was like "What's wrong, I don't get it, why is it acting dehydrated when I keep watering it?" ROFL, it's okay, it bounced back with a vengeance and so I can laugh about being a dork.

YAH! Just under 1 year old (cutting) and "Little Gulp" my ventricosa has created it's first new basil shoot, YAH! I'm so happy I could pop. Also, it's started growing like gangbusters (made new shoot and doubled size of original shoot in just two months). I couldn't figure out what it was for a while, but I checked the soil the other day (after a symbiant lecture in ecology actually) and it turns out it picked up a fungi. Seeing as the growth has sky rocketed and it correlates very well to the fungi's appearance, I'm thinking it's a safe bet that my baby actually picked up a symbiant

Northern Pitchers:
Ahhh, go dormant dang it! They seem a little stubborn about it so it looks like I won't get them all in the cellar before January :p Oh well, at least they are growing.... My baby has over 20 tiny baby pictures not bad for a spring seedling!

Butterwort:
The eternally dormant one. O_O it never changes, it's exactly the same EVERY SINGLE DAY! It hasn't even lost old leaves or grown new ones. It just sits there, dormant, AND IT'S BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE I GOT IT LAST SPRING, AHHHHHHHH!... sorry, I want a sticky plant again, and a flower.

Sundews:
Oh yeah, I killed them all being stupid last summer, never mind (yes, I still hate myself for that)

So yeah, that’s it really, for my plants anyhow

lol , hope all goes well darcie , we all miss yuh , now i don't know whether or not i want to go to college or not
laugh.gif
j/k

Depressing isin't it Darcie.....I'm so happy I'm almost done with college....I only have 1 year left! YEEEAAAAH!
laugh.gif
...then I have to go and do a masters in biotech
sad.gif
.......but the ecology department likes me
biggrin.gif
because I do effective reserch for them......AND I play division 1 tennis
tounge.gif
.....and I have an extreemly happy  
N. maxima....but right now I have the flu so thoughts are just kinda bouncing around my head
wow.gif
...off to study for my Ecology final!

Good luck Darcie in College, study hard.
smile.gif

Travis

I think its called sleep deprivation......
cool.gif
.....I know my stuff

uh oh..
looks like the thought police have been here.
I thought this was America..silly me.
be afraid.. be very afraid..

Scot

Settle down Scotty, that's your opinion, a lot of other people have opinions too.

Without meaning to offend Darcie I often stop half way through her posts as I just get tired of trying to decipher exactly what it is she's trying to say. I was very pleasantly surprised at this post, and then I saw at the bottom that UC had edited it and I guessed that she fixed up the spelling mistakes.

If Darcie takes offence at this then that's her choice and I have no problem either way but if I were her I would learn from it rather than get annoyed.

Cheers, Troy.

Unknown clown,
fixing all those spelling errors is NOT doing anyone a favor!
"Protecting" people from the "big-bad world" is doing them a disservice..
In 4 years college students will be looking for a job.
Don't you think it would be a GOOD idea for them to be aware that they should know how to spell?
Would a future employer be impressed by that writing style?
I don't think so..writing that poorly can HURT someone's life!
Education is the key to a good life, a good job, better pay, more education, even attracting a future spouse!
Protecting people from their own ignorance is hurting them.
My post was much more beneficial than your editing and censorship.
You have denied Darcy of something she really needed to know!
What I pointed out is very important, and it was done in a very neutral and nice way.
You had no right to edit her words and delete my post, and SJ's post.
My post was helpful, your editing is harmful.
You have done more harm than good.
Not only to Darcy, but to everyone.
A college student should be writing at a college level, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a college student being told that. Its for her own good. Any of her professors would do the same.
Ignoring the problem, and "protecting" people, so they dont get "hurt feelings" is very harmful.
Especially when its something that would benefit them greatly to know.

Scot

Scot,

You are entitled to your own opinion but so is everyone else. If it is wrong for someone to decide something is helpful isn't it just as wrong for you to decide that that same action is hurtful? And just because you are convinced that your actions were "helpful" does not mean that they were not hurtful to the person they were directed to.

Oh and by the way, Unknownclown is one word and not two and you are supposed to capitalize the first letter of every sentence. Also, complete sentences are much more beneficial to making an argument than a bunch of fragments. Just trying to offer some constructive critisizm, my opinion only

The problem is not that Unknownclown fixed the spelling errors in the original post. The problem is she DELETED the posts that pointed out the errors. To the best of my knowledge, none of the rules of conduct were violated by either Scottychaos or myself, so why were our posts deleted? Do you not agree that it might possibly be helpful for her, or anyone else, to know what words were misspelled so that possibly in the future steps could be taken to spell those words correctly? Fixing all of the spelling errors may make Darcie's post easier to read, but it won't help her know what words she spelled wrong. Isn't this board supposed to help educate people? Or is that limited only to plants? Perhaps I am confused here?  Would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks
Steve

Ok Im sorry if I over stepped my boundries by deleting them here if anyone cares here are the words Darcie mispelled...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Scotty chaos
colledge?
crasey?
fungiside makin?
pathedick?
climant?
waterd?
laph?
stuborn?
pitures?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]VFT guy in sj

Dont forget:

their ugly...
getting worst...
posible...
origenal...
symbiant...
dorment...

There now since Im gettin tired of trying to keep the peace and gettin chewed out for doing so I have asked Phil to remove me as a mod take care and god bless

I just typed a BIG rant about censorship..but then deleted it.
it was up for about 2 minutes! it was entertaining!
did anyone see it!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

unknownclown,
thanks!
thats very big of you.
but you dont have to stop being a Mod!
no reason for that..

Oh..and I do have to say one more thing on this topic,
because I think its very important, and I feel some people have missed the point..

Troy, you said
"Without meaning to offend Darcie I often stop half way through her posts as I just get tired of trying to decipher exactly what it is she's trying to say."

hmmm..isnt that a bit...mean?!
rock.gif

isnt that a bit hurtfull?
shouldnt your post be deleted too?
I think that was much meaner than my original post..
should your post be deleted too?
I dont think so..thats the point.

to FULLY clarify, here is my entire original post,
the one that got deleted.
the one that started all this..
(unknownclown, thanks for re-posting it..that was very gracious of you, I appreicate it.)

colledge?
crasey?
fungiside makin?
pathedick?
climant?
waterd?
laph?
stuborn?
pitures?

in a post about being a college student?
sad.gif

I thought we are hear to educate ppl about the topics listed in the forums and have some fun.  This is not an English forum for me but I do use the spell checker. I also figure if you want to pick on someone pick on yourself. Much ezier and you do not step on anyone’s toes in the process. Also you have know idea what kind of background people have...They may be young, learning disabled, or from another country and learning English *believe you me it is not easy learning the English ways*. People go to college just to learn more English. One thing is you will never see my name in a book. I think Darcie will learn, do not discourage someone because we all have one thing in common - We love CP's!

Travis
smile.gif

UC:
You are a GREAT MODERATOR! You have done soooo much...

The number one rule here is "Be Nice."  Its one thing to poke a little fun at someone...to laugh WITH someone...and its quite another to hurt someone's feelings with PUBLIC criticism.  Sure...if you think pointing out spelling mistakes is a learning tool, then do so...but do it personally and privately.  Everyone has the PM option.  Make use of it!

There are some things that are not appropriate for public discussion.  Its not a matter of "free speech"...its called TACT and COMPASSION.  Its "free speech" to call someone a stupid idiot or use a racial slur...but it won't be allowed here.

When something gets personal...TAKE IT PRIVATE.  Make use of your PM abilities!

Now we've lost a very good Mod because she did not only what another member asked with a "notification report"...but what she thought was in the best interest of the majority of the members.

A lot of people think being a mod is "cool"...well let me tell you its not too cool to get bashed for making a judgement call (rightly or wrongly) when you've been ASKED to and getting beat up for it.  There are 20 or so mods plus admin spending HUNDREDS of hours per week monitoring these boards out of the generosity of their hearts.  Phil can't run these boards alone!  He needs help to keep it going...so we donate time to help.  And not one of us is perfect (I know you'll find that hard to believe!).  CPUK just had a topic locked and deleted...and wow...no public outcry of "censorship."  How 'bout that?!

Remember...use your PM privileges...and if your intent is truly to HELP someone learn to spell better or any other "off topic" concern.use some TACT and KINDNESS!

rock.gif

Wow, what a mess. Please don't leave Unknownclown. You were doing what you thought best. If I were a mod, I would do the same thing.

SF

I totally agree with what you did, and I would have done the same thing. This forum is a better place because of what you do here.

For all of those that think it's fun and educational to point out spelling errors in list form, please think before you post. Speaking from experience, it is not fun, polite, educational, or otherwise pleasant to have someone publicly list your spelling mistakes. Yes, they are there, but you could just send a pm and let them know there are errors.

The reason I am saying this is that as a child I was not good at spelling and still have some trouble. I have passed the 6th grade, but I would not have done so without some serious help with my spelling. It was not fun to have my classmates point out that I was stupid because I couldn't spell. To this day I have trouble spelling and I am very happy that there are spell checkers. When people gang up on you for not being able to spell, it hurts.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes when we type our brain and fingers are working at different speeds. This can cause typos. Another thing is that there have been alot of words that have been adapted to online use for easier typing. We must not forget that. Though, Tho; checking, checkn, etc.

I probably should add that I am way past that 6th grade stage. I have an Associates and Bachelor of Science Degree.

May I add that there are lots of Latin binomials that are hard to spell too. I won't even attempt some of them without CTRL + C.

SF

Nick, you are very brave to say what you just said and I really look up to you for saying it. I think what you have said shoud put to rest this debate. I think what you said proved beyind a doubt that PFT's number one rule (Be nice) was broken, and appropriate action was taken.
By the way spelling is not my best subjects either. I have the best spell check in the world, Spellcheck by Ruby. By the way for those that don't know, Ruby is my wife.

Back