What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collage stuff..

I have a question...

SEeing as i love horticulture (besides the obvious get to the question right?) Well my question is How would i get into the feild of Carnivorous Plants.. Growing them (would be cool but wouldnt bring in to much of a profit and would need the money to get a nursury started) What would be a good idea for Botany? (still in highschool asking questions so)
How could i get into the wild and study these fascanating plants?

Just really want to know... i want to know how to get into this field of study Now... so i have my whole life devoted to it...

cheers
smilie4.gif

Biology
Environmental Science

Start calling local DNR/Department of Agriculture or your states equivelent. Even local Nature centers. And volunteer for any plant related studies. This looks great on a resume, and gets you known by the people you will want to work for after college. Even tho you aren't getting paid for the jobs still put your all into it. Join local conservation groups, not just CP or plant, but even like here we have pheasants for ever.. Make contacts in the natural resources community.

At least here in Wisconsin, education and ability play little role in getting a job in the field. It's more who you know.

cool.gif
ill keep that in mind this summer
Taking photos of CP's in the wild would be GREAT

Cheers

My local community college has a horticulture program that prepares you for work in a greenhouse and teaches you the ups and downs up green/shade/hoop houses as well as gets down all of the biology and starts plant identification.

If you're looking in to doing it for a profit, then you'll need to combine the horticultural practices required for growing them, the greenhouse maintainance part, and BUSINESS. For a start, taking bio in highschool as much as possible is a good thing, and see if you get get a job or internship at a local nursery.

There is a ton of opportunity in the field of Horticulture. I am a senior at the University of Florida majoring in Environmental Horticulture with an emphasis on nursery management. The department says that there are 9 job opportunities for every graduating senior. With a horticulture degree you can pursue nearly any career in the field. You get to learn a huge variety of things from marketing horticultural crops to learning how to do tissue culture. After I graduate I plan to work at a tissue culture firm managing the nursery. Hopefully one that grows carnivorous plants, like Agri-Starts. You just have to pick something that you are passionate and love. Working with plants, especially with CP's is very rewarding. Talk to your schools adviser to see what colleges in your area have a good horticulture department and start from there. See if you can get a tour and meet some people in the department.
Hope this helped some. If you have any questions you can always PM me.
-Nick

Thats what im trying to do is get a job at a Nursury...

Im sure being a Moderator at a Plant forum would look some what good to get a job to start with wouldnt it?

Their are a few collages that have Nursury Management Programs I am taking Buisness Law (i think thats the class) Next year..

cheers

I have fingers crossed to study hort at Kew myself
smile.gif
Good luck, and I can tell you from my limited experience in the field that it is highly rewarding (makes me warm and fuzzy inside!). Depending on the types of observation you'd want to make, basic knowledge in ecology would prove highly useful and interesting, because we are talking about CPs - some of the most interesting plants on our Earth! - after all. If you read any of Dr. Charles Clarke's books on Nepenthes, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ April 03 2006,7:09)]I have fingers crossed to study hort at Kew myself
smile.gif
Now that sounds like heaven on earth!
cool.gif

AHH thanks for the link ill be sure to check out the book you are talking about (Amazon might have it right?)

Oh would it also help if i took Ag? Im hoping so cause its to late now to drop it we have our sheduals for next year.. It would also help if i had a good councilor... ill try getting ahold of the good one

cheers

Latin helps if you want to go into the more field-oriented part of botany. Also, AP classes (both bio and envi sci) are good classes. These are the things I'm taking, as well as trying to get a job at a local nursery that sells CPs and orchids, among other things.

-D. Lybrand

Lucky! I livein such a small school district we dont get the finer things out of our classes... We have 2 languages (french and Spangish) and well of course english... and every thing is usualy sociolized around Agraculture... So its cool but Beans and Corn dont exactly Float my boat... Ill have to see if i can find some latin language thing...

Cheers

this is kind of off-topic...and my first post too

but CPs actually got me into/through college!  I grew them extensively during high school and took lots of pictures.  As a lot of people know, filling those applications is like marketing yourself to a job and people have been known to send video clips, artwork, music, etc to show off their "extracurricular side."  Anyway, I had a huge bowl of S. purpurea that were just flashing in crimson red, so I sent pics of those to my school...

After I got accepted, they even decided to give me a grant!  Later on, I found out at a donor/recipient get together that one of the reasons why I caught my donor's eye was because of the pitcher plant pictures.  He and a couple of others had been discussing over it.  So he stuck by with me for the next four years so I wouldn't have to eat ramen everyday of my college life.

Go fig, eh?  I just thought it was an interesting hobby, but never once planned on it actually helping me out financially and academically.  Thanks for reading.
smile_m_32.gif

well im not sure what you mean by this

"After I got accepted, they even decided to give me a grant! Later on, I found out at a donor/recipient get together that one of the reasons why I caught my donor's eye was because of the pitcher plant pictures."

and why did you send the pictures... cause if so ill send some of mine in w/ my applacation.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ April 06 2006,12:12)]well im not sure what you mean by this

"After I got accepted, they even decided to give me a grant!  Later on, I found out at a donor/recipient get together that one of the reasons why I caught my donor's eye was because of the pitcher plant pictures."

and why did you send the pictures... cause if so ill send some of mine in w/ my applacation.

Cheers
After I got accepted to the school, they also told me I got a scholarship/grant.  And I think it's because of my plant pics.

Ohh sorry... thast what i thought i just wasnt sure!
biggrin.gif
thanks for clearing it up, theirs a Greenhouse i want to work out i dont know if it would do any thing to show them pictures of my plants... or mention it at least!

Cheers

Back