What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee in soil?

I've noticed that many people use coffee grinds on some of their more acid loving plants. Has anyone tried this with success on their cp's? I roast coffee all day long and have a plethora of beans. However, I think that the grounds might harbor mold. A secondary product of the roasting process is "chaff" this is a thin skin that comes off of the beans when they pop during roasting. These skins flow with the heated air out of the roast chamber and into a collector. I have more than enough for a lifetime of experiments. For twenty years we've been giving this to customers and they keep coming back for more. I intend to grab two baby food jars sterilize them and add grounds to one and chaff to the other, seal them with just a little moisture. Although the grounds would be tainted just by the process of brewing, the chaff on the other hand is in a tornado of 450-500 degree air leaving it pretty clean. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Would this be a fairly controlled experiment? I plan on using the same batch of beans and chaff i.e. brazilian beans and brazilian chaff from the same roast. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Andrew

i have no idea. i've heard mixed opinions on using coffee grounds personally.

you've got me jonesing for a cup of fresh coffee now though. thanks alot.

I don't think I will be using any grounds, other than for a comparison. The chaff contains just as much goodness/acidity as the rest of the beans. In fact some of the other companies throw it back in to make up for water loss during roasting. Anything for a buck!

Some growers use use black tea. It kils algea but doesn't harm your cp.
dewy

Ive used coffee grounds in hydranga plants in the past , such a hardy plant here in the pacific northwest ~ i dont know if i'd chance coffee grounds in just any cp ~ maybe a little research is needed ~ nothings worse than an overcaffeinated flytrap ~ {grouchy and snappy ~ grrrrrrrrr} `

Black tea can be used to help colour up some Sarracenia. And I believe I remember coffee having come up a few times in the past, I'm off to bed now so I wont search, but people should give the search function here on the forums a try and see if anything comes up. If nothing else, I know that people have chewed on the idea before.

I searched plenty and didn't come up with the results I was hoping to find. I've decided to bypass the spent grounds altogether b/c most of the acid is removed during the brewing process and put into your cup. I might just steep some fresh grounds in some water for a day or two and then use that to water with. I'm also going to put some of the chaff on the soil surface and work it in a little. I don't think i'll be risking any plants by doing this. Also, the caffiene is a repellent for slugs.

Coffe grounds make great compost! But it must be composted prior to use for best results. I wouldn't use it on CPs since it would be like adding fertilizer. If you decide to experiment please keep us all posted.

Glenn

Back