What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coconut husk reptile bedding

I found some coconut husk in the pet store that is labelled for reptile bedding. Is this safe for my plants? I know some coconut husk is high in salt content, but thought if this was safe for reptiles, it should be safe for my plants. Has anyone used this or know anything else about it?

I think even the plant type coconut husk stuff has to be washed to leach out all the salts so I'd say give it a few good washings and you should be fine

i wanna know too
smile_h_32.gif

please help steve!
smile.gif

I wouldn't use it unless first soaking it a few times in pure water and testing with a tds meter each time.

High quality chips produced for plants are washed several times prior to packing and orginate from coconuts that are not grown near coastal water. The quality can vary significantly even among products produced for the agriculture market.

As Tony has pointed out, rinsing is critical.  I purchased some coco chips from a nearby orchid vendor.  He assured me they were rinsed and ready to use.  I soaked them anyway, and the first rinse water measured over 400ppm TDS.  After several more rinses, it was below 80ppm and I used it in my mix - no problems.

(By the way - welcome back, Tony!)

Cheers,
KPG

Well, I've rinsed them twice and left them outside in the rain yesterday. I can rinse them again, but I don't have a TDS meter. Where can I get one and how expensive are they?

Is the fact that they are sterilized for reptile bedding any indication of their salt content?

sterilizing generally only involves heating and dehydrating, generally not rinsing. after rinsing i use theas as part of my soil for my dart frogs and Mantellas which are pretty picky about contaminates and ive had no problems

I have pondered using this stuff also. If it's the same stuff I have seen in places like Pet-Co, it is made in Sri Lanka(which I think is the safest as they are usually not beach-front trees).
Even so, many washings for sure. If you have a tds meter, I would be interested in hearing the levels.

Cheers,

Joe

You don't need a TDS meter just as long as you rinse (soak) them at least 2 x's with water changes. I do that and have had NO problems. Just soak 2xs over night, drain and rinse just to be safe. Simple.

hey i have a question about sterilizing. i got scotts perilite and it get alge on it how would i go about doing this? also the same with peat(scotts as well)
alex

Algea spores are in the air, you will never get rid of all of it, i gave up years ago.

I dont know, but i know people use Coir (coconut fur) for Casing on Mushrooms (thats a difrent story) but they use it for The lowness of Acidity, and the amount of nutrience in it...

dont know if its the best for plants (specificaly CP's)
Cheers

well me and steve already used it...

Back