What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coconut fibers for mexi-pings ?

hello,

I just want to know if somebody had already try a substrat for mexi-pings with 100% coconut fibers.... or less than 100% but a big part of his mix...

and what kind of results ?

personnaly, I already try a lot of differents kind of mix.... and for the moment, the one I like more, is 100% of perlite...

but i'm always looking if i could do better...

I've not used coconut fiber. I have used various barks and leaves (ground to a powder), like redwood bark, fir bark, pine bark, eucalyptus leaves, and fir/pine leaves. The bark and leaves were suitable media ingredients, but unnecessary. I have and still do, use some perlite in mixes, but watering mixes containing large amounts of perlite must be done carefully, or the perlite will float out and wash away. I've taken to substituting light colored pumice, of similar size, it doesn't float.

Last edited:
i like to use 100% perlite.... for me, my conditions of grow, and the way how i'm working with.. it really gaves me good results...
I try to find some photo to show you...

my pings in 100% perlite

Pinguicula "tempa"

tempa10.jpg

P. "tempa" zoom

tempa_10.jpg

P. moctezumae x gracilis

moctez10.jpg

P. moctezumae x gypsicola

gyp_x_13.jpg

piece of leaf P. moctezumae x gypsicola

gyp_x_12.jpg

P. gracilis

gracil11.jpg

P. esseriana and P. potosiensis

esseri10.jpg

P. cyclosecta

cyclos10.jpg

young plantlet P. "Seductora"

boutur10.jpg

P. "bailly"

bailly10.jpg

P. agnata

agnata10.jpg

P. "crystal"

20130110.jpg

P. "crystal" with zoom on the roots

20130111.jpg

young P. "tempa"

20130112.jpg

young P. 'Aphrodite'

20130113.jpg

young P. "bailly'"

20130114.jpg

on left young P. gracilis x moctezumae and right (need to be ID.. P. gigantea ? ... answer when she's bloom )

20130115.jpg

flower of P. rectifolia (x3)

rectif10.jpg

rectif11.jpg

rectif12.jpg

flower of P. moranensis var. caudata [not a recognized varietal name]

caudat10.jpg

20130210.jpg

flower of P. cyclosecta

cyclo_10.jpg

cyclos11.jpg

flower of P. gracilis

gracil12.jpg

gracil13.jpg

flower of P. gracilis x moctezumae

20130211.jpg

gracil14.jpg

flower of P. "crystal"

crysta10.jpg

crysta11.jpg

20130212.jpg

20130310.jpg

flower of P. 'Aphrodite'

aphrod10.jpg

aphrod11.jpg

i hope you enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Pinguicula, ignis! What are your temps and humidity like? Do you grow them inside under lights?

100% perlite... Interesting. Maybe if I ever get any more Mexican Pinguicula I will give that a try.

since you are in hydroponics did you try rockwool ?

How did you year back, on this cultivate in hydroponics ?

jeff

hello

I use 100% perlite, and i'm very happy for résults...
all my Pinguicula growing inside my house, just behind windows, and in the summer the pots stay in 1 centimeter tap water...
I never use artificial lights, and sometimes when i got time, i put the Pinguicula outside to catch some drosophile...
the Pinguicula growing very well in this hydroponique method... i really think that plants appreciate, because they have good roots...
perhaps they have more oxygene and not too much water, just enough...
the only thing is that the pot need to stay all the summer in 1 or 2 cm water, because with the sun, perlite is going dry very fast, and Pinguicula could die.
Jeff, i never try rock wool but i think in spring i will tast coconuts fiber 100% or with a litlle perlite to make a mix....

excuse me, it is a Pinguicula moranensis f.caudata [not a recognized varietal name] (the same I have for avatar)

in few days, i put pictures of P. gracilis x emarginata and P. "tempa" on a new post..

Back