What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coconut fiber -

Hi All:

We've had lots of requests for coconut fiber to use with various nepenthes.

So.. what I'm curious about.. is if we're looking for it out there through distribution... is there a preferred brand? Is it the core fiber that people use with Nepenthes? Shredded or longer fibers? What's it mixed with when growers use it?

All of the run down on experiences would be great. We have a distributor of it, but I'm not quite sure what to look for if we carry it, or use it ourselves.

THANKS!

Coconut fiber is pretty obscure in Florida. I use it in my nepenthes mix, but it doesn't come in any brand. My local orchid/tropical nursery sells it by the bushel, no special packaging or brand name. I pull it apart a bit and mix it in with my standard mix. Occasionally, especially when I'm using a larger basket, I'll layer it as I'm putting the standard mix in. Oz

I get mine the same way, from a nursery as is. I did learn it is a good idea to rinse it thoroughly because it sometimes contains alot of salt. I shred it up and use it in the Nep mix to make the media more porous.

Cheers

CHIQUITA!

O wait thats bananas

Seriously though. Make sure it is prewashed. Coconut fiber/chips are notorious for being high in salt.. something to do with the possibility of coconuts getting subjected to seawater. During their life on the tree or soon afterwards.
T

hehe

I get mine from my grandma's house or any other inland place that has a palm tree.
smile.gif
 It's a pain in the *** to pull out of the husk, but you do get plenty of the stuff from one coconut. Speaking of which, I should go looking for more....

Joel

I just walk along the beach with a sack and can find a tonne of the stuff, already broken up into useable sized peices. Not much help to you Phill but I wouldn't mind betting that's how a lot of it is collected, so it probably is very salty.

I use it to pot my Bromeliads but never with my Neps. It seems to break down quite fast.

Cheers, Troy.

oops,
I dunno if that place wholesales...
confused.gif

but, I'm not sure weather or not that matters...
P.S. sorry I keep forgetting about editing
confused.gif

Back