What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra sos

Need help here because I checked my books and I think I was doing everything right.

I got a nice cobra about three weeks ago (I've had another since April and it's doing fine, though smaller). The new one is in a 3" pot, and the tallest pitcher was (note the "was") around 5" tall. It sat in a tray of distilled water, in a south facing window (no direct sun) -- same conditions as my older one. Anyway, I came home from work yesterday and found that almost all of the pitchers were drooped over and practically all dried up (water in tray, soil wet). I could swear it was okay when I left in the morning. All that was left were two fairly good sized green shoots of new pitchers. And now today, one of the shoots is bending over and not looking well.

What happend? I'm concerned because before I came home yesterday I stopped by Lowe's as they called and said new plants had come in, so I picked up a couple of more cobras and I don't want them to go the way of this last one.

According to my books I was doing everything right. I live in So. Calif. and humidity has been below 30%, and temps have been 90's, but in the house they would be protected from the crisping heat.

Thanks for your help and hope everyone had a happy 45h!

cpwitch

I think the soil got too hot. Darlingtonia like cool root systems. You may want to try watering several times a day with cool water. I have also read that Darlingtonia do not like the tray method.

Hi Cpwitch -

Any chance it could have fallen to the floor and someone else potted it back up and cleaned the evidence? Just a guess.

I have had Cobras keel over for no apparent reason also, or come near death and make a very very slow recovery. I grow them indoors, under lights. I have a real beauty, grown from seed too (much larger now than the photo):

http://www.necps.org/images....nia.jpg

http://www.necps.org/images....RL=http

When I have 'rescued' them from Lowes, I immediately take them out of the pot, unwrap the soil and soak in a superthrive solution. Then I place them in a soil mix of 50:50 perlite and long fibered sphagnum, in deep pots - at least 6 inches. I have never had a problem with them sitting in trays of water - could be since the pots are deep. I water from the top too, on really hot days I use refrigerated water. I give em a fly or two every two weeks or so.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

You can also try freezing some distilled water and placing a few ice cubes on the surface and let them melt slowly...this will provide some cooling for the roots as well.

However, the "rules" are always being successfully broken. If I remember correctly, Pyro breaks all the rules for Darlings and his grow fine. lol
smile.gif
I've killed a few (as most have) but I have several that are doing fine now.

Suzanne

I have one out on my front stoop. It get HOT out there durring the afternoon, and the darn thing seems ok (the pitcher that was on it when I bought it got a little charred, though). The only thing I noticed is that the pitchers aren't growing as large, but are otherwise healthy....
confused.gif

I have gotten a lot of great replies both here and through pm's and am grateful to all who shared their expertise and time. I will put the suggestions into effect, and we'll see what happens. The funny thing is that the little cobra I got in April is doing fine, while my recent acquisitions just seem to be folding. I will make some changes and perhaps hit on the right care plan!

Thanks all!

cpwitch

EGAD! I live in socal too, and I can tell you for sure it's too hot. Even my sarrs are complaining. I know about the cobras from experience.
confused.gif
Anyway, the best I could do to prevent its ultimate demise (traded it later) was to put it in the fridge, where it perked up. Go figure...

Anyway, I suggest the ice cubes on top of soil method. That and transfer it to a light-colored pot, which may help. Good luck and let us know if you succeed.

Back