What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cobra\'s in a pond

tuyen thi

BANNED
I went to a nursery called Green Thumb to buy a purple pitcher plant ( sorry PFT , but my chances of getting one from you right now are slim because yours are out of stock ) . After I brought the plant i went to the pond section and i couldn't believe what i saw in a small pond , Cobra Lilies floating on the surface of the water . I said to myself " i got to get myself these plants but are they hard to take care of or easy , i did read alot of books about this plant and they are cheap " . then i asked a person who worked at the nursery " why do you keep those plants floating on top of the water , you know just because they are called cobra ' lilies doesn't mean that they are supposed to be treated like lilies they should be potted in three parts sphagnum peat moss with one part perlite and they are mountain dwellers so they have to be kept cool , so always waer them with refrigerated water that has been runned through a reverse osmosis system " .. the manager said that he didn't know that and he said that he'll do that right away , the day after that I came to the same nursery again and saw that the manager did nothing that i said about the plant , that's right there still floating on warm water , so I asked a different person who warked there how much are these , and he said a dollar . I asked him if i could give me each of them for 50 cents since they are in bad condition , and he said OK . I brought all the 9 plants , a large bale of genuine sphagnum peat moss , perlite , and a huge terra cotta pot . When i came home I planted them in the things i brought and watered them with cool water . Right noe they are doing well and they are enjoying there new life in my front yard .

It's always good to hear another 'plant rescue' story. I'm sure you'll give those plants a much better life than that nursery.

Floating on water?!? Wierd. Goes to show how little some people know about carnivorous plants. I'm sure you'll take good care of them!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from tuyen thi on 7:30 pm on May 13, 2002
I went to a nursery called Green Thumb to buy a purple pitcher plant ( sorry PFT , but my chances of getting one from you right now are slim because yours are out of stock )[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

A bit of an unappropriate comment. If they are out there really isn't a need to announce it on a post.

As for the Cobras floating in water, this is actually a viable way to grow them if done right, I have heard of many botanical gardens that utilize floating minibogs for CPs. In nature Cobras often grow along seeps that keep their roots constantly in flows of water. When grown floating the cobras are happier because water is a better temperature buffer than air so the roots are less likly to over heat.

I gave all the cobra lilies to my grandmother so she could get rid of her bug problem , and they just started to flower . ( I can;t wait to get my cobra seeds .

Back