What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lily - my nemesis

sure. next time i go up there i'll post a picture.

standard clone from homedepot. started with three but have one left. one got washed away and one died, but the one left is doing great. it's vigorous but the new growth is about half the size of the old growth. then agian i'm sure it got pretty stressed coming from homedepot, and it's alive so i'm happy enough
smile.gif

it's in an 8 inch tall pot, maybe 6 inches across. it's in the creek and the water comed about 5 inches up the pot. it's really just sitting the the creek, it's shallow and pebbles and rocks have settled around the base aswell as sand. temperature is maybe 60 degrees, it's in full sun and it's got the nicest cover of sphagnum i've ever seen growing over the soil.

every not and then the creek floods but the roots are strong enough to hold it in place now. i'm planning to remove it before it gets too cold and bring it down here where i live to let it go dormant with the sarracenia.

So it CAN withstand the flooding as long as the roots have been established. I just took mine home and have it at the porch. It wasn't fazed by the move. Home Depot? I've only seen them at Lowes.

yep. the roots ancor it.

want to know something cool? i didn't even use cp mix. i just scooped up some dirt from the side of the creekbank. sphag is an indicator for the environment so i guess i'm doing well
smile.gif

And I use streamwater to water the plants at home while the ones in the lab get deionized water.

I've seen cobra lily at home depot.  When they got them in early summer, I went there once a week to monitor the progress (none of them sold).  The plants were in a dark, dingy corner, trapped in small domed pots.  Surprisingly, the plants actually were sending up many new pitchers, but they were deformed from lack of light.  The garden "gurus" at home depot were growing the most difficult CP by using pure neglect!  They eventually got grey mold and died.  

I'd guess that long term survival is the most difficult part of cobra lily cultivation.

Brian

Here's the window sill survivor, now outside and heading into dormancy:

AF003601.jpg

Back