What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lily dormancy

Hi,
Today I retained a Cobra Lily from my loving grandparents, its not doing so well, (they bought it at a nursury that used the tray method,) I know how to take care of it (soil, sun, water, etc.) except on dormancy. When do I do it, and what do I do? I read that you can put it in a refrigerator, but I am unsure if that is correct. If you do put it in a fridge, what temp, and how long do I keep it in the fridge? It looks like it has stopped growing fast, it has 2 good looking pitchers, and a couple not so good looking pitchers, it has a peat/perlite medium (alot of peat, and not that much perlite) but it seems to be doing ok. My greenhouse that I should keep it in resembles the climate of where they are native too. The plant seems to be sort of mature (or almost there) with a large pot and many clipped stems (probably 10 or so). I would love to show a picture, but my computer wont poct the pics that I try to post, maybe I'll have someone post it for me. Sorry all the info is so fanned out, i am just trying to get in all the details. Thanks alot,
Kevin

Hey Kevin,
Just keep the plant outside and it will do fine. I'm just a couple hours north of you and have very good growing plants outside year around. Plants are very hardy and will do just fine in our NW winters if we actually have a winter this year. Will have to keep plants watered as we haven't really had much rain yet this season.
Plants will tend to look a bit scappy end of fall and winter until the new pitchers come up in spring.
Now would be the time to change soil mix to a more open one with more perlite or even pumice if you want- a larger pot would also be very helpful in keeping roots cool.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Hi,
Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.Thanks again,
Kevin

yeah they do great outside, actually I keep mine outside all year round. Oh and I'm in Lynnwood just a bit north of Seattle.
Um personally though I wouldnt mess with the soil till after the dormacy period is over it can put the plant into shock and it needs its resources for the dormacy.

I'll do anything to keep from going out shopping- including a little plant torture
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

another question, whats the lowest temperature a cobra lily can take? Will an occasional frosting hurt it too?Thanks,
Kevin

Actually they grow in the Cascade MTs from CA to the the southern most edge of WA. So they can take both snow and heavy frost and live. Personally though I would avoid them both since although they can take it, it can still damage your plant and make it look like crap.

Oh you also asked how long for dormacy, they should be dormant now up until Valentines day at least. Unless you decide to make them out door plants then you realy dont have to worry about dormacy times.
wink.gif

Back