What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra lilies (seeds)

Yes I know.
sad.gif

I guess the seeds have gotten caught up in the mail. There still not here.
mad.gif

Look on the bright side at least they`re seeds and not plants! (I can just imagine cobra lilies backing in the hot sun&#33
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Yes I just got my seeds along with some S. flava!!! Hooray!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

hehe, i just got my darling seeds to germinate.... i left them in a bowl of water (used a tooth pick to stir a little so the seeds are below the surface tention. i waited (for 3 days) until a few sunk to the bottom of the bowl. i sowed those in the soil (havent germinated yet...) i was too lazy to sow the rest in the bowl. it reached just about a weeks time before i checked back to the bowl that i found the seeds in the bowl (the ones that sunk underwater) germinated! im soo happy
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

I just stuck the Darlingtonia and some S. flava seeds in the fridge. It is 9:26 Tuesday, September 23. When I put the seeds in the bag, I lost track of them all. There so small I can't figure out how your supposed to place them 5mm apart like it said at the ICPS.
confused.gif

Now all I have to do is twiddle my thumbs for 42 days.
sad.gif

39 more days
sad.gif
It has been 3 whole days already
biggrin.gif

i told ya, just stick them in a bowl of water. stir with a stick to get them under the surface tension. will germinate in a week or two. i do stir a little every day because the seeds stick to the sides of my bowl and the evaporation brings them out of the water. most of the seeds germinated for me. Zongyi

Darn it!!! I already stuck them in the fridge, and I even soaked them for a day too!

Oh yeah, 37 days

*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
37 more friggin days
*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

36 more days
it has almost been a week

35 more days it has been a whole week
biggrin.gif

Can somebody explain to be the process of stratisfication and what it's suppose to do for the seeds?

I've got some Darlingtonia seeds I want to plant also....

biggrin.gif

Stratification is basically a "simulated season". In this case, plants drop their seeds just before the start of winter, but it just doesnt do to have seedlings sprouting at that time to die with the onset of winter. The seeds lay there and wait for spring to roll around before they sprout. In cultivation we "stratify" the seeds in order to force them to sprout when we want them to. Basically we fool the seed into thinking it has just gone through winter (wrapped in a damp paper towel in the fridge for a month or so). Then we put them under grow lights indoors to fool them into thinking its spring even if there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.
For more info on this check out the FAQ pages at http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck
Steve

24 more days.
biggrin.gif
it is getting cllooooooosssssseeeeeeerrrrrrrr.

I cheated! Took them out on the 23rd and planted them.

Back