What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clumping Cultivar

I have often wondered about the stability of registered (preliminary) cultivar 'Clumping Cultivar' (D'Amato) which is described in the ICPS Database as "these plants produce clumps of rosetted growing points, which result in a mound of densely packed leaves."

The photos below are of my outdoor bog which contains plants from seed that I collected from my typical VFTs. As you can see there are numerous growth forms including clumps, rosettes, upright, big traps, little traps, etc. All from the same seed batch. I have not experimented with the stability of the clumpy form when divided and replanted. My clumpy plants are not from the "official" clone of 'Clumping Cultivar'. I wonder how they are different. Does any clump of VFTs qualify as a 'Clumping Cultivar'?
VFTbog362a.JPG

VFTbogclump354.JPG

VFTbogclump007.jpg

I can't help you out with the info you're looking for, but man, that's a sweet sight! Look at all those VFT's! Great picture!

Since the standard is missing from the semi-legitimate publication, and the actual description is:

"these plants produce clumps of rosetted growing points, which result in a mound of densely packed leaves."

I would assume that any VFT that produces numerous offsets would have to qualify, which is fairly absurd for differentiation purposes. Fooey on it, IMO.

Bob- Very cool growing grounds man! I'd be interested in seeing that in a few more years.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing!
(sorry have no info on the clumping VFT)
Andrew

Hi Bobz. I am growing 2 different clones. One is from
a grower named Phil, the other from a grower named Bob.
The one from Bob might have originally come from you,
I am uncertain of that, however. At the moment, they are growing typically and are not clumping.

BobZ, that bog has to be the envy of most of the VFT amatures!  I mean with that many plants, you'd run out of bugs to feed the plants before you got bored.  I'd hate to be a bug in that bog...it would be like walking into a mine field.

nice pics - I'm jealous

I might be able to help ya if you send me a couple of those giant clumps
wink.gif
Seriously though, nice pics! How old are those from seed?

Ya, send me one too! lol...

WOW
Thats Awe inspiring man...
i wish i could do that but... i dont think i could do that on Long Island
awwwww man
sad.gif

I wished I lived in the Southern states, where I could start my own bog! Dumb Michigan is way too cold for any of those stuff.
mad.gif

With the very simple and not that specific description of ~clumping cv.' your plants would be of this cv. HOWEVER I wouldn`t label them as such to help prevent confusion although I guess they are `clumping cv.'. Lol. it seems pretty confuseing.

Btw. great pics bobz! What media are you using? Is each one of those plants an individual plant? or did you plant some of them together?

hmmm...
lets say, a Dente VFT grew in large clumps, and so did any cuttings from it also made clumps, would this be a Clumping VFT or a Dente?
rock.gif

Great pics Bob
smile.gif

Although those Vft do appear to be clumping, you can not name them after 'Clumping Cultivar' (D'Amato), as that is a specific clone registered to the ICPS.

My guess would be that they are similar, but would clump more than that maybe. Who knows - for I have not seen a 'Clumping Cultivar' (D'Amato) myself yet.

One things for sure though is that is not unique, many of my Typicals clump too.

Very consufing cultivar this one !
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WOW
Thats Awe inspiring man...
i wish i could do that but... i dont think i could do that on Long Island
awwwww man

Hellz, nonsense! You can do that on Long Island.
smile.gif
Come on up north to Brewster, and I'll show you my pots of VFT's (Two big pots, and one 18" windowbox FULL of them). Brewster has much harsher winters than LI, which is moderated by the Atlantic.

Oh, I'll let you check out the rest of the collection, too, lol.
tounge.gif

The Vft's you sent me bob that were from the 50 year old clone have clumped alot , my pot if like a mountain of flytraps now .
biggrin.gif

Heres a horrible outdated pic of mine.lol.
VFTclumping1.JPG

WoW! Very Nice!

So all those VFTs came from 3 original plants?

Too Cool!
blues.gif

I geuss your not saying "wow! very nice!" about my horrible pic right? Lol.:laugh:

Back