What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clonal propagation of vft

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>First; for ease of procedure the plant must be exposed down to its roots. This is easiest when done in conjunction with repotting, but it can also be done by carefully removing plant and media from its pot. If the media is firm (cohesive) I carefully peel enough of it away from the underground stem of the plant to expose a good portion of the leaf bases that come together to form the "bulb" (though this is not a true bulb). I then select several of the older leaves that have already died back until only some of their basal portion remains, the part that is underground and helps form the "bulb". With medium sized forceps (tweezers), I gently grasp the selected basal leaf segment and gradually peel it away from the rest of the "bulb" until it breaks off at the base of the plant (where the roots emerge).

Second; I prepare a pot using a mix with an extra portion of silica sand making a 2::1 mix of sand/peat moss. I thoroughly soak this and then let it drain until it is just damp (I use folded layers of paper towels to blot the water from the pot by placing the pot on the towels so that they draw out excess water).

Third; I make small holes in the media with a toothpick about (1.5cm) 1/2 inch deep and place the basal leaf segments vertically into these holes, bottom side down.

Fourth and last; I label the pot and place it into sealable polyethylene bags (zip loc) and place within 2-4 inches (5-10cm) of fluorescent lights and then watch and wait.</span></span>

Thanks for the good instructions, Joseph.
smile.gif
Can you offer an estimate on how long before one would start to see a plantlet form?

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>With basal leaf cuttings I usually expect to see the first little sprouts in about 4 weeks, some can show sooner, but don't give up until you've waited at least 2 months and have checked them to be sure they have rotted away. If they are still living they can still sprout plants.

I had a few seed begin to germinate in as little as 4 days, but most fresh seed germinates completely in 14-16 days. Older seed can take considerably longer to complete the germination process if it can at all.</span>

This topic should be pinned. Nice and detailed instructions is what we 'newbies' need. Or even better, put it into the article section of the forum...

Using this technique, about how high is your success rate?

/Quensel

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Rarely less than 100%.

Sometimes basal leaf pieces even produce clusters of little plantlets, instead of just one. For larger plants faster from this technique, use groups of leaf bases which are still joined together.</span>

Back