What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clipeata hlp

ive read many things about N. Clipeata but...
some say its a low land require hot days and warm nights,
while others say its a highlander...
what is it? which one is it more, a lowlander or a highlander?
rock.gif

lowland as far as I know, though there are many clones which may very well vary in requirements. I have always seen lowland though. I would wait for a response from one of the more knowledgables. I do not have N. clipeata.

Joe

The "SAVAGE GARDEN" says it`s a highlander.

From Joachim Danz's site:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. clipeata is an intermediate plant which also tolerates highland conditions.

Pat

Wow I was way off. Don't listen to me. Thats why I said wait for the "knowledgables". Good thing I'm not growing it, I would have killed it the first night
sad.gif

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ April 16 2004,7:49)]The "SAVAGE GARDEN" says it`s a highlander.
Just because Peter said it doesnt mean it's true... there are alot of errors in that book... I'll bring up the post about it.

EDIT: Wait a second... my version says its a lowlander!
rock.gif

The botanical monograph series Flora Malesiana's Volume 15: Nepenthaceae by Jebb & Cheek states that N. clipeata grows between "600-800 meters above sea level".

This places it in lowland conditions, however, it is the upper range of lowland (lowland is 0-1000 meters) and growing only on one exposed cliffside. This cliff is exposed and would likely often be around 100*F during the day and dropping to much cooler (but likely not highland cold) at night because of the same exposed conditions (cool night winds).

I grow my N. clipeata in my hot sweaty lowland conditions (85-95* Days/70-75*F nights) and it's doing just fine. When it outgrows this space it will go into a more intermediate chamber.

Hi,

My clipiata is doing well as a lowlander as well (in Florida). I got it a few months ago. It quickly began to grow when I got it, and each leaf is pitchering. It is really small though: about 2 in. diamiter, its one of Wistuba's clones. It is very happy now, and was one of the fastest adapting neps I've gotten.

JA

I've been growing N. clipeata for about seven years, and in that time, I've found that it tolerates my lowland conditions quite well, for my plants are now quite large with multiple growth points. I do, however, keep the plants on the floor of my greenhouse, as it may be a bit too hot for them up on the benches overnight. Temperatues in my lowland greenhouse typically range from 20 to 35 C.

hmmm... my savage garden book says its a highlander...
is there an updated version of it and if so, where can i get it?

/shrug...

Mine has N. clipeata listed under Highland Species

Savage Garden does? So does Slacks "Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them" if you have it(and it's still pretty good info for almost 20 years old).
I have seen neps excellent plants and he commented that for a lowlander, they were more suscepatable to burn than most, hence why they were on the floor.
I was also thinking(help me out here Jeff), that he said N. albomarginata grows better as a highlander for him.

Regards,

Joe

According to Charles Clarke, this species has an altitudinal
distribution of 600 to 800 m, which is quite well within
what is commonly considered the lowland range. Please
see C. Clarke, Nepenthes of Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, 1997, p. 78.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was also thinking(help me out here Jeff), that he said N. albomarginata grows better as a highlander for him.

Thanks for your kind words. Actually, what I've observed is that
the green varieties of N. albomarginata seemed, in my experience,
to be less tolerant of high temperatures than the redder varieties.

I have found N. clipeata and N. albomarginata to tolerate my cold Winter temps but they both do a whole lot better during the warmer Spring, Summer, and Fall. I would not class either as highland..
Deffinately lowland plants that can tolerate colder temperatures for a period of time.
Tony

Back