What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

awhile back i got ahold of some plastic brandy sniffers. wierd looking things about 4 inches tall with the lip(4 inches) wider than the base(3 inches). anyways they screamed Utric pot so i picked them up, heated up a wire and melted some holes in the sides and bottom, filled them up with some fluffed Chilean LFS and transplanted my sandersonii and calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh' as guinea pigs. well it worked far better than expected, especially with the 'Mrs'. resuts:

'Mrs. Marsh': not much change looking down on the pot other than it is now in bloom, the diameter of the "lolon rossete" has actually shrunk do to it loosing some of the older lolons. however looking through the sides of the pot you can see it kicked rolon development into overdrive as they are EVERYWHERE, dont see many traps though. in any space greater than prolly a cubic centimeter or two, new lolons are developing. i now have, i would guess, 4 times the rolon mass and over twice the lolon mass that i had 5 weeks ago when it was transplanted and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Sandersonii: similar to above but not as great, lots of rolons and some lolons but nowhere near the increase as 'Mrs. Marsh' however i would guess it currently has over 30 flowers coming out of the original lolon mass i transplanted.

they are growing in a tray system along side other Utrics, Drosera, Pings and a few other odds and ends. not sure where to go from here. i have a lateriflora that could be transplanted. plus i have extra plants i could use from bisquamata, tricolor, prehensilis, graminifolia and prolly a few others. but all these are growing like weeds in a basic peat mix. any suggestions or preferances that you would like to see used? this worked so well that when i saw some glass candle holders on my way by the craft department in Walmart i has to pick them up for possible use in growing my Genlisea. one is about 1.5 inches high, 6 inches long and 1 inch wide. it should work well for them i would think. questions and comment appreciated.

Rattler

i dont think so. lots of ppl grow them in undrained pots. i just put holes in the plastic ones as an experiment to see if i can get them to grow out the sides. they havent yet.

Rattler

Any chance you could post some pictures Rattler? Sounds pretty neat.

i had taken some pics but when i went to find the negatives to scan and upload i couldnt find them. the gal whos 'puter has the neg scanner on it was gone rodeoing(shes a world champ barrel racer in the younger categories, now shes 20 and trying to place in NRA standings) so i couldnt ask where she put my negs. she'll be back monday and maybe she'll remember where she put them.

Rattler

I grow my utrics in the same cups. They exhibit the same behaviour as yours.

i knew i wasnt the first to do it but i havent seen much for pics or details on this type of experiment so i thought i would post my findings and results

I'm sure your findings are informative to others.

Back