What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning a flytrap wound

Last night my 3yr. old was looking at my plants, and decided to trigger a trap with her finger. She's done this a time or to before, and I usually get on to her about it. This time was different! About the time I noticed she was near my huge 24" pot of 8" SHE STARTED SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS! I thought maybe a trap snapping starttled her, but as I got closer I noticed the blood. It seem the trap made a 3" long incision in her finger. We went to the emergency room, and she required 22 stiches. The Dr. ask us how this happened and we told him. None of his staff has any experiance with the type of juices in the trap. I was wondering if anyone knew what to use to clean the incision.

Asbestos. Make it fluffy and take a deep breath. It will get in the blood stream and clog up the incision from the inside. For the outside of the wound, rub it with sphagnum moss. This may contain the fungus Sporothrix schenckii which causes Cutaneous Sporotrichosis. After this you should have no worries whatsoever.

AMPUTATE

Well , I did apply a peat bandage( it was the only thing steril in the house), and after that I thought of making a salve out of peat and nep juice to fight infection. To prevent this from happening again I may have to give away my collection of CPs, or maybe I could get rid of the kids. I don't know, tough decision.

The TRAP cut her? How is that possible? Do you have any ideas? Maybe one of the spikes was extra spiky or something?

That's one for the record books!

SF

It must have been a sawtooth vft.

Anybody else besides me notice the date?
rock.gif

tounge.gif

You're kidding, right?  i mean , that's not possibly.  An 8" trap, please!
rock.gif

YEAH!!! APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

You must of bought a new Cultivar called the SUPER GIANT Venus Flytrap with REAL SHARP spikes with poisinous tips!  How did you afford it?  Last time I heard the plants where just being grown in Austrailia and costs $100,000.00+! which is know to eat cats and dogs...:  and eat the fingers of unsuspecting people!  
I just heard of this from National Geographic!  It made front page news!
Apparently they have the technology to swap the DNA from LOBSTERS and switch the certain Gene into a VFT as a experiment and it worked!  Other rumors say that they just made a Nepenthes with the pitchers able to eat people!
wow.gif

I grow my vfts outdoors. I recently done a division. Out of the corner of my eye, I swear I saw the roots of one of the plants move. i thought it was just my imagination. The next day, the flytrap had left the pot and was sitting in the water tray.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It must have been a sawtooth vft.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Oh, let me wipe the tears from my eyes!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh, by the way the trap isn't 8" but the diameter of the plant is.
biggrin.gif

The next day, the flytrap had left the pot and was sitting in the water tray.

Well at least you could find him, lots better than the tree nesting varitey
tounge.gif

The flytrap is well behaved now but looking a bit brown. I've trimmed off most of the roots. Just like chickens to prevent them from nesting in the trees the wings are cut down.:D

well it might not be in the record books, Ozzy's D. Capensis ate seven dogs and cats! lol (I'm still mad Ozzy LOL)

Oh come on now, be rational. I may be a ditzy blonde, but I'm not foolish enough to believe this
tounge.gif
Happy April Fool's Day to you too.

Snowy did you actually believe that?
tounge.gif

Back