What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic Literature

Besides Carnivorous Plants one of my other passions is classic literature. Judging by some of the signatures here it looks like in not the only one. Right now i'm drudging though Ulysses for the first time, wow what a book.

It would be difficult to narrow it down to just a few favorites but two that I have always enjoyed are The Count of Monte Cristo and The Odyssey.

I would love to hear recommendations from the other members.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

I'm less into fiction than I am philosophy, but there are still some good narratives to be found in that stuff. Meno and Theatetus were pretty good. I'm also very fond of The Book of Five Rings, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, and Leviathan, but those aren't really in the least bit story-like.
I'll have to think for a while about genuine fiction... it's been quite a while. Shakespeare's got plenty of good stuff but I always found it hard to enjoy when I simply read the scripts.
~Joe

I don't know if you're looking for a light hearted or affirming book but if not then 'Maldoror' by the Comte de Lautreamont is one of the darkest and most miserable/depressive pieces of classical literature I've ever read. ♫ Loved it ♫

Amazon sells it as an omnibus of all his known works: http://www.amazon.com/Maldoror-Complete-Works-Comte-Lautr%C3%A9amont/dp/187897212X/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306816623&sr=1-17

The 3 big omnibus collections of novels by the Marquis de Sade available at Barnes and Noble are also very interesting for their classical political and religious subversive writing. But of course there's a bit of naughty language and "stuff" in those... LOL

Last edited:
Not sure if they are considered classics, but all of MR James' short stories (all from the early 1900's) are the best in the horror genre in my opinion.

Virgil's The Aeneid
Dante's La Divina Commedia (Divine Comedy)
Homer's Iliad
Boccaccio's Decameron
Milton's Paradise Lost, among many others . . .

Wow some great suggestions!

Swords
Maldoror looks fascinating definitely will be one of my next books. I have read a few of Sade works, he was one interesting character to say the least.

Gulliver's Travels is awesome!

I have not read any of M.R. James I'll have to give them a try.

If The Aeneid is anything like the other 4 you listed I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

As you can see from my sig, I like Ulysses. :)

Others to recommend: Great Expectations, Grapes of Wrath and though a play: The Doll's House.

I do enjoy a good ancient classic, my favorite is probably The Oddessy by Homer.

The following books are 45 years and older from the Twentieth Century, they may not be for everyone:
Modern Classics:
Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton (1948). This book changed South Africa, very poetic book.
Dune by Frank Herbert (1964) - Likely the greatest Science Fiction Novel yet written: the symbolism, structure, and epic scale of the story.
The Good Soldier Svejk and His Fortunes in the World War by Jaroslav Hasek (1921), this book was written after WWI. The culture and humor in the book make it a classic on my list. It also helps that I heard so much about it when I lived in Prague. While I can read it in Czech, you probably want to find an English translation.

That's all I have for now.

I like Jorge Luis Borges... though mainly short stories
Magnetic Feilds and Nadja by Andre Breton
and randomly
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Gillman

If you liked Gulliver's Travels you'll probably enjoy Voltaire's Candide and Cervantes Don Quixote.

Which translations of Homer have you read? I prefer Robert Fitzgerald's versions.

I haven't read much classic literature, but I do happen to collect antique books. Most I have never read, but I really appreciate the ancient leather bound looks. I almost have an entire collection of The History of England from 1726 (18 of 22 volumes).

For some reason, i have only read science fiction such as War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells and Flatland by Edwin Abott Abott which is one of my favorite books.

Back