What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clamp lights

I just bought a few clamp lights at Lowe's today to place on top of some small terrariums. Are they safe to use on CPs, as in, will they burn my house down if I leave them on 15 hours at a time? I use reptile lighting for most of my terrariums which has special ceramic sockets for the bulbs. This is why I ask about the safety of these.

Use compact fluorescent bulbs and you shouldn't have a heat problem at all.

Capslock

What kind? And what do they run?

What kind? Um, just the $5.95 ones they sell at Lowe's. They look like they're metal, and they have an on/off switch.

What do they run? I'm assuming you mean what bulbs I have in them. 19 watt daylight compact flourescents. It says on the tag that it can handle up to 100 watts, but I just wanted to make sure with you guys so I know they're safe to run lights all day for plants.

In principle, clamp lights bought from lowes or home depot are safe to use with any compatible compact fluorescent under 100W, irrespective of the time it's spent "on." Just be sure to keep the bulb away from easily combustible materials (dry paper, plants, etc.) as they get quite hot.

Back