What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cicada mania

If you are younger than 17 then this will be a first for you.  This is the longest lived insect in the world and we have them right here in the northeast.  Check out this site then go out & look around for them.  www.cicadamania.org
Awesome    
wow.gif
   What a fascinating world we live in,eh?    
rock.gif

Silly me,  what was I thinking? I forget that this is a forum for those who grow plants that eat bugs.  A cicada is just one big fat juicy meal for your plants.  
tounge.gif
 Oh, well.  
*shrugs shoulders & leaves the room*

OOOOOH, AHHH! That would be really cool to see.. but I live on the west coast, 3000 miles away
sad.gif

In 99 I had just finished a job in Pa, and I was driving through ohio on my way home to NC and I can't tell you how many of these bugs splattered on the windshield of the penske truck I was driving. I stopped at a rest stop and a women told us they they only come every 20 years or so. It was really freaky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 03 2004,2:36)]In 99 I had just finished a job in Pa, and I was driving through ohio on my way home to NC and I can't tell you how many of these bugs splattered on the windshield of the penske truck I was driving. I stopped at a rest stop and a women told us they they only come every 20 years or so. It was really freaky.
But they're coming this year... So this must have been 79 when it happened, not 99
tounge.gif
rock.gif

Oh boy... another one of ozzys lies!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Spec once again shows his ignorance. There are different species of these bugs and they are on different timetables. Some species are on a 13 year cycles. Spec check your facts.

Here in southern Australia we just had the worst Summer I can ever remember with cicadas. In some areas you couldn't leave the house without wearing earplugs for fear of being deafened. At some stages they literally covered the trees.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 03 2004,3:08)]Spec once again shows his ignorance. There are different species of these bugs and they are on different timetables. Some species are and a 13 year cycles. Spec check your facts.
mad.gif
GRRRRRRR<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>RRRRRRR</span><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROAR!</span>

HA!!!!HA!!!!!
tounge.gif

I had one inside my pants once, crawling up my leg towards the Holy Land. Man, you should have seen those jeans come off! I think I must have broke the sound barrier I moved so fast. I doubt the neighbors even gave me a second glance.

Their song is one I associate with summer, and it is a fascinating thing to consider a life cycle that is so different from most. I can't say that I am looking forward to them, but it will be interesting to see how many show up.

I thought the 17 year cicadas were the ones that came out LAST summer
rock.gif

God, I hate those. It sounded like an Alien spaceship was landing in my back yard. Ugh, now I'm not looking foward to going home so much...

bummer..looks like we arent going to have any around here..
here is the "brood map" for brood X.
this is the big 2004 brood everyone is talking about.

23dc9650.jpg

Thanks for the brood map, Scotty.

I'm in the range of the next brood, 3 years from now.

For those interested, there are 4 species of 17 year cicadas mainly in the northern and central U.S., and 4 species of 13 year cicadas mainly in the southern half of the country - with some controversy over whether the length of time should or should not rank them as separate species.

These aren't the same as the summer cicadas, which are much more widespread, and are present ever year.

They are quite interesting insects.

RR all u i was gonna say all that You beet me to it *grins*

Thats right everyone, Brood X is coming! protect your young trees! get out the soy sauce its time for some bug mania. They are very creepy looking but are good dipped in soy sauce and salsa. baked first, please.

Yes people who have young trees should worry this yeat

Well, according to the map there's a pair of Broods SW of Roanoke, so hopefully we won't have it so bad
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 02 2004,10:04)]I had one inside my pants once, crawling up my leg towards the Holy Land.  Man, you should have seen those jeans come off!  I think I must have broke the sound barrier I moved so fast.  I doubt the neighbors even gave me a second glance.

Their song is one I associate with summer, and it is a fascinating thing to consider a life cycle that is so different from most.  I can't say that I am looking forward to them, but it will be interesting to see how many show up.
Tamlin that is too d@mn funny!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
LOL

hmmm we have a few EVERY year up here. must be a different species. never very many but what few there are man you know they are out.

Rattler

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you get different populations of the 17 year cicada each year?  I understand they're on a 17 year cycle, but that doesn't mean they're all on the SAME 17 year cycle....or does it?
rock.gif

Edit:
Hmmm. I guess I should have read the whole thread before posting. Lol.

hmmm... i c a couple of cicadas every summer, but never seen a swarm of them.
i wish they could swarm around now cuz i live on Long Island.
if they did, i might get school off
LOL
"cicada" day instead of snow day
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 03 2004,7:04)]I had one inside my pants once, crawling up my leg towards the Holy Land.  Man, you should have seen those jeans come off!  I think I must have broke the sound barrier I moved so fast.  I doubt the neighbors even gave me a second glance.
That happened with me, only i ran into a wasp nest
wow.gif
and yes, one of them stung me "there"

Back