What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was needing some help with picking out the type of plants for a vivarium.

I heard low land neps do well in a vivarium and was looking for ones that doens't require dormancy. Or if they do I can simple change them, but hoping for plants with little dormancy.

Sundew that requires no dormancy.

Ultrics, aquatic and terrestial

And for my personal collection all types of vft.

I was hoping I could get some help in choosing the neps, sundew, ultrics, and any more advice on plants will be great.

I was thinking about sticking with N. Amp, U Gibba, U. Sandersonii, U Longfolia, D. Spat, but any more opinion are wanted.

Also if you have any of the following I listed please contact me via PM or Email so we can work out a deal.

Thanks in advance for all you help

Are you going to have enough light for the plants? I know nothing about the animals that might be in there but will they appreciate the light levels needed for healthy plant growth?

My suggestions on Nepenthes:
smaller growing types
N. campanulata
N. bellii
N. distillatoria
N. viellardii

Tony

Yes I would have enough light as I am buying several Compact Flourescent, these lights will have to be effecient in order for my other plants to grow. So far I made quite a list

N. jacquelineae, N Villosa, N. hamata, , N Ventricosa Red, N. campanulata, N. reinwardtiana, N. ampullaria, N. longifolia, N Alata, N gracias, N. bellii, N. distillatoria,N. viellardii
Aquatic and Terrestial Ultrics
drosera any type of that doesn't require doramncy
Any types of VFT

I've added the plants you recommended. The first 4 plants along with the vfts are for my personal wants and not for the use of the vivariums.

Is there any way to find further information on how rare/price or where to get these plants?

I've decided my want list is too big and costly, so I'll be trying to figure out what is the Necessities that come before hand, so I can get some of those before the other ones that I really want. In the end, hopefully, I'll end up having them in my collection maybe more
laugh.gif

hm.....My want list will always change.  But I have decided on this.

Neps:N. amp green, bellii, campanulata, N. distillatoria, N. viellardii, N. reinwardtiana,
N ventricosa 'ReD', N. Jacquelineae, N hamata, n villosa
Ultrics: Gibba, Longfolia, Livida, Sandersonii, Sandersonii Blue
Any types of VFT

n. ampullaria and n. villosa need  different temps. There are lowlanders and highlanders there. Pick the group with temps your animals would like.

I've found that sandersonii 'blue' is a bit tricky to flower, and the leaves are smaller than the regular kind. It might be easier to just pick the regular kind, unless someone offers you the blue as well.

As for sundews that don't require dormancy, I'd go with common 'ole capensis, that's probably the easiest to obtain here on the forums. I'd worry about all the seed scattering everywhere but it'll look cool! In your vivarium are you going to have any slanted wood or really steep soil hills? It might be cool to grow your sundews or some pings on that.

Hey Daniel, Savage Garden lists N. hamata as a highland species. Can that be grown in a vivarium? Not to mention that it is quite an expensive plant (cheapest Ive seen them is $50 for a small plant). You may want to look very carefully at all the growing info on that plant before you make a costly mistake.

Good Luck
Steve

N. Hamata is a choice for me =D. I love the coloration. As for most of the highland, They aren't for the vivarium but for my collection. Should have clarified on that.

Back