What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check your lights!

hello everyone,

i'd like to remind everyone to check your lights (and any other power equipment you use). before today, i have never done any "inspections" per se, but i did lable when i changed the bulbs in my 2, 4' dual bulb fixtures.

today, i had to move the lights on top of the 55 to get into the tank, and one flickered a bit, and seemed kind of warm (more than usual). it had been flickering a little when i would move it for a few days now, so i didn't really think too much about it, but as soon as i moved it, the fixture went out, like both bulbs died at the exact same time. upon further inspection, one of the the sockets for the bulbs was about 20% melted away, and one of the prongs on the bulb itself was loose. not good. luckily, i found everything before any other potential damage happened. all in all, i'm out 1 bulb and a fixture ($15.00 total).

i don't know what happened to cause this, nor do i really care. i'm just happy that i caught it before anything else happened.

now, go check your lights!

peace all,
technoracer

You're luckily! One of my cooling fans (stupidly bought second-hand) almost blew up in my face after giving off a narsty smell. The spark was, what, a foot high?
wow.gif
Good thing I still have my head (but not the fan, duh, my father MADE me ditch it, saying that I'm luckily, and I am, just wasted $5 instead of my head, now that's lucky!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Is yours DIY? I only have one (well made - bought FIRST-hand now) so I don't really need to check it, it the DIY ones that need checking, might blow up any time...like technoracer said, CHECK your *equipment*, and don't buy no 2nd hand stuff, so that I feel that I almost 'died' for a cause, at least...
wink.gif

Better to use other ppl's *hard earned* experiences rather than having to learn yourselves, otherwise we'll have quite a number of accidents (+ a low population), especially around here...
wink.gif

Jason,
I don't mean to make you feel bad, but I have noticed that a lot of times you post several times in a row when you could have just posted it all at once. If you have something to add, just edit please. Makes it easier on all of us...
wink.gif

~LM

no, my lights are not DIY. i buy them at the store, just like many of you do. please do not think that just because you bought your light/ fans/ whatever at a store that they will never ever fail. sure, i might have been the 1 person in 1 thousand that had one fail, but i feel i am lucky just the same.

it would have sucked to have that thing catch fire while i was at work today, and take the house and everything i own with it, ya know?

tech...

I used to sometimes stack my florescent lights on top of each other when I was checking on the plants. Forgot about them one day, and they melted together.
sad.gif

Back