What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap way of testing humidity

hey i want to test the humidity in my terrarium just once and i don't want to waste 20-30 dollars on a humidity meter. (i live in singapore) i just want to know roughly how much humidity there is, anyone have any methods?

If there is moisture on the glass then I would say you have plenty of high humidity....

Seriously though.. there should be no reason to worry about humidity in a terrarium unless the top is significantly open.

i have a terrarium on its side and i only got about 3/4 of the tank covered the rest are open, is this enough?

Are the plants happy and growing well and making lots of nice pitchers?

This is your best indication.. and doesn't require buying a hygrometer (which are notoriously inaccurate unless you buy an expensive lab quality one).
Tony

Ive just finished this terrarium and i keep sundews, vfts and sarrs and other smaller cps, they need quite high humidity right? i think ill just buy a big piece of hard plastic and cut it to shape
thx

I have grown vfts and Sarracenia out on my windowsill in the NE US. They seem to do fine in moderate humidity. Drosera seem to do better in higher humidity.

If you tape some plastic over the top 3/4 of the side opening I would think it should hold plenty of humidity for most plants.. Isn't the humidity naturally pretty high in Singapore?

Tony

Most of the plants you mentioned do not need much humidity. Sarracenias grow quite well outside here in arid Southern California. I have vft's and sundews growing in trays of water under grow lights. Many nepenthes need the humidity, but as long as you provide enough water, most plants will be fine. Not to mention that Singapore should be humid enough as it is.
laugh.gif

Peter

yeah Singapore high humidity near the grounds but im 7 stories above the ground! also my apartment does not have narural sunlight so i have to grow my plants in terrariums

I have an Accu-rite temp/humid guage...cost five bucks at Home Depot.
I assume there are no HDs in Singapore but you should be able to find something inexpensive.
smile.gif

thanks everyone,
anyone can think of a possible method of testing? like putting a cotton and see if it's wet or soemthing?

Back