What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CF lighting for CP's

I have been recently shopping around for proper lighting for my terrarium. I have found that "proper" grow lights such as Ott-Lite's compact fluroscent are too #### expensive and I am looking for a quick fix. I bought a clip-on table lamp and a CF (compact fluorescent) bulb. Unfortunately, the only bulbs I could find were "soft-white" or "warm-white." Does anyone know of any "cool-white" CF's? Will the "warm-white" pose a signifigant health problem with my VFT and Cape Sundew? The lamp holds only one bulb and the terrarium is 20"x10" (10 gallon fish tank).
blues.gif

I have found that the bulb I bought is at 2700K.  What is the proper color, in Kelvin, that I need for good photosysthesis?
blues.gif

The best color temp is around 5000K. And yes, you can find them in CF bulbs. Look for "daylight" and "cool white" varieties.

However, a single one of these bulbs is not going to be enough for your terrarium. Either get a few, or go with the reasonably priced "fluorex" floodlight fixtures. For about 30 bucks, you can have a ton of good light for your terrarium. Check ebay, Home Depot, or others for this brand of light. I use them and think they're great!

Capslock

Back