What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus pitchering

Ok so my cephalotus took some time but i have been noticing a small shoot come out ot the one of the three plants together( it was sold like that). at first i though it was a nother leaf but i noticed the wierd shape to it . so i knew this was a pitcher and it is. but it didnt open yet but its blowing up
smile_n_32.gif
. then i notice the top of the plant were the new shoots were it looked brown but luckely thats just the plant growing dark red leaves because it was moved to a bright windowsill. Now two more pitchers are coming out. I cant wait till they open i will post a picture when it starts opening.
smile_n_32.gif

cool dude, I can't wait myself for my ceph seeds to germinate. Its been five weeks now, how long do they take?

Wow, sweet!

Congrats on your success man! From what I hear, cephs take a great deal of patience to grow
smile.gif

/Quensel

wow ceph seeds usally take like up to 3 months.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (carnivorkid @ July 17 2004,11:27)]wow ceph seeds usally take like up to 3 months.
TO GERMINATE??
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I thought the 3 months was with stratification of the seeds included, not germination alone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]From what I hear, cephs take a great deal of patience to grow

Ha! You have NO idea! I've had one for close to a year now, and it's SMALLER than when I got it. That might, of cource, be because I almost killed it at one point...
confused.gif

But I know what you mean. I just noticed today that the first decent sized pitchers are inflating since the near-death experience.

My ceph is one of my pride and joys. I watched what was not much more than leaf sit for months and months...then finally TINY pitchers....for many more months...then finally a bit bigger pitcher...and so on. Finally in this last year it has starting putting out large (relatively speaking!) pitchers and a lot of them! It has been making 3-5 pitchers at a time. Right now there are probably 5 pitcher buds forming.

They are slow to get going but seems like they hit a point where they really start to grow fairly quickly. Its producing pitchers around 1"...not huge I know but when you've seen it when it was nothing more than a leaf, those pitchers seem gigantic. At any rate, it seems to be quite healthy and I love looking at it. Gives me great pleasure.
smile.gif

Yes I know, they take patience to grow - keeping mysel from pulling my hair out a couple times is not enough. The seeds haven't germinated for 5 weeks now, after 2 months of stratification!!! Just how long do these darn things take to germinate, seems like ages compared to other cp, say dosera seed.

Jason

Mine is growing like mad, its pitchering all the time.
My plant is on its young side from the looks of it, so the biggest
pitcher isnt that big, about 1.5 inches from top to bottom.
But, it is growing and pitchering like mad, I have had my ceph
since march, and it hasnt stopped growing and pitchering since!
smile_m_32.gif

In fact, there was a period of time where only pitchers
were being produced!
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

I received a couple Cephs and Heliamphoras, recently. They are my first. What are their respective optimal growing conditions? Are they better of inside or outside? Should they be kept wet?

jimscott,
Cephs are like Neps. They like good draining soil. If standing in water there is a chance of root rot.
I never tried any of my cephs outside. I grow mine in a terrarium. I have a leaf cutting I started late last year that's getting a good size now. I'm going to move that one out of the terrarium and to a windowsill and see how it does. Maybe next year when anoter leaf cutting is a good size I will try another one outside to see how it does. I think that they do not like it real hot, which might be a problem in late summer usually.

Back