What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus growing tips drying up

I have a question about growing cephalotus. I have grown the cephalotus for two years now and I have a mature plant that has formed a mound and a carpet of pitchers. I noticed that some of the growing points in the center of the mound are dried-up and dead. Instead, the rhizome is shooting out pitchers at the bottom. These pitchers are growing along the soil line and expanding the radius of the plant. This is normal growth? Do growing points dry up and die after a while? Am I treating this plant poorly hence this result?

I think humidity might be low. You might want to take a plastic container on top to cover it to keep in humidity

Might it be rot? What are your conditions? I doubt it's humidity.

i have had this happen many times with cephalotus over the past few times ive grown them. Growing points sometimes die off and new ones take the place, if it is growing steadily i would not concern yourself too much about it. maybe do a division on it later, the mounding and expanding is natural for the plant. Humidity isnt an issue with Cephalotus, infact too much humidity is bad. people on this forum and many other places have alot of success as a windowsilled house plant.

Thank you for your feedback. It looks like I should try and take a few cuttings just to be safe, and just leave it alone after that. I'll see what I can do. They grow really compact and it's not easy to detach anything.

As long as it is making more growth points I wouldn't worry about it. Your Cephalotus will be bigger and bushier now.

xvart.

Back