What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus germination...

Well, is there?
tounge.gif

Constant watering and don't remove the husks from the seeds. Good light source, but don't forget to keep them humid. Otherwise, they will not grow. Usually the take several months to germinate.

So should I mist them and let them sit in a shallow tray, or just mist them, or just sit in a tray with a little water?
tounge.gif

I just want to make sure I get it right the first time.
wink.gif

Well, yes. I have put my first set of seeds on a small terrarium with grow-lux since January this year, and to my surprise I see germination going on as of april the 10th. they need high humidity at all times, but don't saturate them with water.

Agustin Franco

Gotcha.  Thanks agustin.  I won't flood the tray.  Maybe i'll pick up a 5 gallon tank just for them.

Btw, what are the specs on that gro-lux?

Dear Vertigo:

18 watts gro-lux works for me.

Agustin

Hmm, sounds like this may be less complicated then I first thought. I can throw a 27w on top of them, and put them in a 2 1/2 gal hex tank suspended above about an inch or so of water, should keep the heat and humidity on them. At what distance do you have your light? And do Ceph seeds require light to germinate or just like regular seeds?

Thanks again.

Vertigo:

Distance between light source and plants should be no less than 7 inches.

Agustin

What it is most intriguing is the fact that these seeds need several months to germinate. That's why people prefer to propagate asexually, because it is quicker.

Agustin Franco

I sow mine on the surface of a standard compost in the summer as soon as they are ripe, and they germinate the following spring. this is in a cool frost-free greenhouse, minimum 7C.

Back