What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus follicularis

uphwiz

jimmy
hello im new to this forum so please forgive newbie questions looking to reproduce my cephalotus can it be done by hardened off leaf pullings and on what type medium will damp peat work and how long before i see some growth so i wont give up too soon

thank you

Yes, Cephalotus can be propagated by leaf pullings/cuttings. The "winter" leaves are more commonly used (Regular, non-carnivorous leaves), but pitchers work as well. As for what media, whatever media your Cephalotus is in should be fine. And for how long, I'm not sure, I've never tried, but I think it takes several weeks. So as long as the leaf/pitcher looks somewhat healthy and alive, there's hope.

What media is your Cephalotus in?

it's now in peat 75 perlite 25 its doing great it spent the summer in full sun and has 4 and is starting the 5th adult pitcher i just brought it in to my window sil where it spent last winter with just small pitchers

Long fibered sphagnum, especially alive, is the best medium to sprout winter leaves.

So as long as the leaf/pitcher looks somewhat healthy and alive, there's hope.
Actually I've had several sprout after the original leaf was rotted away. On one, there was a bulbous growth below the ground that had formed. It eventually sprouted some leaves. On others, the plant was developing a root system before it sent up above-ground leaves. I've had them take over 6 months & I think Big Bella had some take much longer...
Long fibered sphagnum, especially alive, is the best medium to sprout winter leaves.
This has also been my experience.

BTW.... a little stretch for a bad pun... but, "tennis anyone?"

I grow mine in the following mix: 1 part peat, 1 part perlite, and 1 part sand. If possible, I try to add in extra sand.

Back