What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis leaf cutting

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've been in an experimentation mode with regard to leaf cuttings / pullings and haven't much success with the Mexican pings and limited success with VFT's. I am also trying D. filiformis and D. binata as leaf cuttings, in a 50 ml centrifuge tube.

I tried putting a C. follicularis, winter leaf, in substrate, in a baggie. For a full month that leaf neither turned black nor did anything exciting. I then tried it and others in a 50 ml centrifuge tube. The newest leaves haven't done anything, but the original leaf has roots. When and how should I introduce it to the real world of a pot and substrate?

I actually saw this creature in person at Jim Scotts place--it's alive! But being a one time Cephalotus owner and killer, I'll pass on my advice. Very
cool.gif
Jim

once it has leaves, open the bag bit by bit everyday. eventually when it's open, you can pull it down little by little untill it's exposed. i'd grow it in a terrarium though.

to pot it, scoop out the whole plant with a spoon and plop it into it's new pot. i use 50/50 lfs and perlite.

What!! You're ripping about the plant I gave you!!

Not sure Scott.
I only have ever done my leaf cuttings by placing them in pots with LFS, peat moss, and sand. They can take a long time to decide if they are going to grow or die.

Thanks, guys! Seems as though they need a humid and slow acclimating environment.

do you want to grow it in the open or in a terrarium?

if the terrarium is humid, i'd just pop it in and not worry.

I do everything open tray.

Back