What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus "die-back" and insurance policies . . .

Fryster, the plants in the wild are not readily/easily accessed so it would make studying the CSDS rather difficult.

However, I do wonder if CPers in Western Australia experience the syndrome when they can grow Cephs closer to their natural environment.

Fryster, the plants in the wild are not readily/easily accessed so it would make studying the CSDS rather difficult.

However, I do wonder if CPers in Western Australia experience the syndrome when they can grow Cephs closer to their natural environment.

From everything that I have heard -- including correspondence with Western Australian growers -- the "syndrome" seems to be universal and just as sporadic. Some have suggested that Botrytis, the causative agent of "damping-off" fungal disease in seedlings is to blame, but there was no trace whatsoever; also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, neighboring plants with overlapping foliage -- genetically identical through division -- were wholly (thankfully) unaffected . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"
CFHG-C.jpg

It's certainly is worth having insurance over growing Cephs. I lost over 10 large plants last summer which keeled over one by one! :( And even this week another one that had been growing with them at the time also has collapsed. All plants shrivelled up and went yellow/black. And despite keeping the original ones, so far none have regrown!

And yet I had been growing this particular clone for 21 years without a single loss. Thankfully I have other Cephs both this clone & others eleswhere, but it certainly makes you nervous. Particulary as I have never pinned down where this infection came from, as the water supply has never been changed. Guess my time was up!

cheers

bill

It's certainly is worth having insurance over growing Cephs. I lost over 10 large plants last summer which keeled over one by one! :( And even this week another one that had been growing with them at the time also has collapsed. All plants shrivelled up and went yellow/black. And despite keeping the original ones, so far none have regrown!

And yet I had been growing this particular clone for 21 years without a single loss. Thankfully I have other Cephs both this clone & others eleswhere, but it certainly makes you nervous. Particulary as I have never pinned down where this infection came from, as the water supply has never been changed. Guess my time was up!

cheers

bill

My condolences . . .

Unfortunately, the die-back just seems to be a universal experience among growers of Cephalotus; though, in my experience, the plants have always regrown, but it often took several months. Even Adrian Slack mentions it in his Insect Eating Plants: "A curious phenomena is that both in cultivation and the wild individual shoots will sometimes die back for no apparent reason, and you may think that you have lost your plant . . ."

Slack goes on to suggest cutting off any dead foliage and simply maintaining the pots for as long as it takes. Far be it from me to suggest otherwise.

So far, there is no CSDS of whole plants for me. However, I do see the occasional die back on 1-2 offshoots. The die back doesn't happen haphazardly...rather, it happens during particular seasons to different plants at different spots in my growing area.

The whole plants that I lost were due the use of wrong media (it was mineral-packed leca), alkaline fertiliser and root mealies which went unnoticed for too long. :blush:

Back